geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: G2.0.1 geronimo-javamail dependency is not loading?
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2007 14:56:54 GMT
Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Sep 6, 2007, at 7:15 AM, Rick McGuire wrote:
>
>> Could you post a stack trace for this new failure?
>> Are you able to instantiate an instance of javax.mail.Multipart in
>> your code?
>>
>> I have a suspicion that the problem is with the classloader used to
>> load the SMTPAppender class, not the classloader configuration of
>> your app itself.
>>
>> Rick
>>
>> Xh wrote:
>>> Hi David!
>>>
>>> Now I use both org.apache.geronimo.configs/javamail and
>>> org.apache.geronimo.javamail/geronimo-javamail_1.4_mail dependencies.
>>>
>>> I did just like You asked, I've configured my SMTPAppender
>>> programmatically (in servlet's init method):
>>>
>>> SMTPAppender newAppender = new SMTPAppender();
>>>         newAppender.setSMTPDebug(true);
>>>         newAppender.setSMTPHost("HOST.pl");
>>>         newAppender.setSMTPUsername("USERXX");
>>>         newAppender.setSMTPPassword("****");
>>>         newAppender.setFrom("x@x.pl");
>>>         newAppender.setTo("a@gmail.com");
>>>         newAppender.setSubject("Test!");
>>>         newAppender.setThreshold(Level.INFO);
>>>         newAppender.setLayout(new org.apache.log4j.SimpleLayout());
>>>                 Logger.getRootLogger().addAppender(newAppender);
>>>
>>> The result is still the same:
>>>
>>> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/mail/Multipart
>>>     org.xh.log4jtest.Test.init(Test.java:25)
>>> what should I do now?
>
> Hi Lukasz,
> NoClassDefFoundError means that the Multipart class is being found,
> but some dependent class is not being located. We need to find out
> what that class is...

This appears to be a problem with the classes visible from the
classloader used to load the log4j classses, not with the application
dependencies.  Since the SMTPAppender does not have the javamail api
classes (or possibly, the activation classes), it's not able to be
instantiated.

One quick solution would be to drop the javamail jar into the JVM ext
directory.

Rick