geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: How to register a Datasource in GlobalJNDI Namespace?
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2007 14:14:54 GMT

On Sep 26, 2007, at 3:33 AM, Kristian Köhler wrote:

> Hi
>
> i use a custom deployment mechanism to install my application into
> Geronimo 2.0.1. I have no special deployment plan for that kind of
> application. One component out of my application wants to access
> the DataSource registered within Geronimo Application server. The
> component tries to lookup the db via a JNDI lookup call.
>
> My idea is to register the DB within the Global JNDI Namespace and
> that access it from within my application. I configured the pool
> via deployment plan and registered a GBeanBinding GBean for the
> registration in the Global Namespace.
>
> My problem is: What's the name of the DBPool to access/ to link to
> with the GBeanBinding? Is this a passable way to do this?

You can but its a pain.  You need to find the
ManagedConnectionFactoryWrapper for your pool and call $getResource()
on it to get the datasource.

Instead you might try the more specific connection factory binder
dain wrote a long time ago that has been languishing in the sandbox.
This will let you get the actual datasource out of jndi.  I haven't
tested it but someone has recently got something similar and a
related class for admin objects to work.

thanks
david jencks

/*
* Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
* or more contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file
* distributed with this work for additional information
* regarding copyright ownership.  The ASF licenses this file
* to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the
* "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance
* with the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at
*
*  http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
*
* Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing,
* software distributed under the License is distributed on an
* "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY
* KIND, either express or implied.  See the License for the
* specific language governing permissions and limitations
* under the License.
*/

package org.apache.geronimo.connector.globaljndi;

import org.apache.geronimo.connector.outbound.ConnectionFactorySource;
import org.apache.geronimo.gbean.AbstractName;
import org.apache.geronimo.gbean.AbstractNameQuery;
import org.apache.geronimo.gbean.GBeanInfo;
import org.apache.geronimo.gbean.GBeanInfoBuilder;
import org.apache.geronimo.gbean.GBeanLifecycle;
import org.apache.geronimo.gjndi.KernelContextGBean;
import org.apache.geronimo.kernel.Kernel;

import javax.naming.Name;
import javax.naming.NameParser;
import javax.naming.NamingException;
import javax.resource.ResourceException;

import java.util.Collections;
import java.util.Map;

/**
* @version $Rev$ $Date$
*/
public class ResourceBindings extends KernelContextGBean implements
GBeanLifecycle {
     private final Class type;

     public ResourceBindings(Kernel kernel, String nameInNamespace,
Class type) throws NamingException {
         super(nameInNamespace, new AbstractNameQuery(null,
Collections.EMPTY_MAP, ConnectionFactorySource.class.getName()),
kernel);
         this.type = type;
     }

     public ResourceBindings(Kernel kernel, String nameInNamespace,
ClassLoader classLoader, String type) throws NamingException,
ClassNotFoundException {
         super(nameInNamespace, new AbstractNameQuery(null,
Collections.EMPTY_MAP, ConnectionFactorySource.class.getName()),
kernel);
         this.type = classLoader.loadClass(type);
     }

     protected Map createBindings(AbstractName abstractName, Object
value) throws NamingException {
         if (value instanceof ConnectionFactorySource) {
             ConnectionFactorySource connectionFactorySource =
(ConnectionFactorySource) value;

             String name = (String) abstractName.getName().get("name");
             if (name == null) return null;

             Object resource = null;
             try {
                 resource = connectionFactorySource.$getResource();
             } catch (ResourceException e) {
                 throw (NamingException)new NamingException("Could
not obtain connection factory from gbean").initCause(e);
             }
             if (!type.isInstance(resource)) return null;

             NameParser parser = getNameParser();
             Name jndiName = parser.parse(name);

             return Collections.singletonMap(jndiName, resource);
         }
         throw new NamingException("value is not a
ConnectionFactorySource: abstractName=" + abstractName + "
valueType=" + value.getClass().getName());
     }

     public static final GBeanInfo GBEAN_INFO;

     public static GBeanInfo getGBeanInfo() {
         return ResourceBindings.GBEAN_INFO;
     }

     static {
         GBeanInfoBuilder builder = GBeanInfoBuilder.createStatic
(ResourceBindings.class, "JdbcBindings");
         builder.addAttribute("type", String.class, true);
         builder.setConstructor(new String[]{"kernel",
"nameInNamespace", "classLoader", "type"});
         GBEAN_INFO = builder.getBeanInfo();
     }
}