geronimo-user mailing list archives

From EJLeVin1 <ejlev...@hotmail.com>
Subject Problems with Geronimo Logging...
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2007 01:11:11 GMT

Ok, so first off I want to apologize if this is kind of a newbie question,
but we are making the migration from Tomcat to Geronimo, and I am having a
hard time moving some of our application's logging.  We have written a
custom log4j appender that utilizes both our custom jar, and 3x 3rd party
jars.  My original intent was to just add these three jars to
GERONIMO_HOME/lib and then configure the
GERONIMO_HOME/var/logs/server-log4j.properties file to make use of this
appender with a filter to our namespace; however, this failed with getting a
class not found error.  I also tried adding these to the repository and it
didn't seem to work either.  I am not sure whether this is the correct route
to take (as in digging further into the GBean -- it would seem nice to be
able to add our appender functionality by loading/unloading a GBean within
Geronimo), but seemed to be the easiest.  I was wondering if anyone could
give an example of / knew how to do either of the following methods:

1) Adding the 3rd party jars to the j2ee-server module so that the custom
appender can be resolved when loading log4j

2) Getting a handle on the running log4j instance (I think the beans name is
"ServerLog"), and being able to add the appender/classes to the
configuration by means of a GBean.

Thanks anyone for your help, as I have been looking at this now for quite
some time, and can't seem to find an answer anywhere.

-Eric