geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: JBoss SAR replacement
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2007 18:12:13 GMT

On Sep 24, 2007, at 5:34 AM, Jörg Henne wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> we are currently investigating alternatives to JBoss AS. While
> Geromino looks really, really promising, I could not quite make out
> whether Geronimo features an equivalent to JBoss SARs, we
> absolutely need. In case you are not familiar with SARs, here's the
> bottom line:
>
> * SARs are similar to EARs in that they present a self-contained
> application including descriptors, Code and, possibly libraries.
> * In contrast to EARs, SARs don't deploy enterprise applications
> (Web Applications, EJBs), but services.
> * Services are quite simply MBeans implementing a service interface
> that lets the service hook into the container life-cycle (start/
> stop) along with a descriptor detailing dependencies etc.
>
> This sounds a lot like GBeans, however, I don't see how GBeans can
> be deployed in a self-contained fashion. To make this a bit
> clearer, here is our use case:
>
> * Deploy services other than J2EE apps. Think, for example,
> implementations of classic UNIX services like NFS, TFTP etc.
> * We would like to be able to just drop the service packages
> somewhere for deployment.
> * They should be self-contained so that they can use their own
> isolated class loader, in order to overcome possible library
> version conflicts.
> * Of course we need the life-cycle hooks.
> * Oh, and did I mention: hot (re-) deployment would be great...
>
> Does Geronimo offer something along those lines?

yes, you guessed right :-).  services would correspond to gbeans and
sars to geronimo modules.  The largest set of geronimo modules is
geronimo :-).  Look in configs for lots of examples and feel free to
ask lots more questions.  There's a dependency-between-modules system
so you can stop/start/redeploy a module and dependent services will
at least stop: I don't recall if they automatically restart if you
redeploy a module.

thanks
david jencks