Hey Simon,

Some basic logging information can be found on the geronimo coding standards page found here: http://geronimo.apache.org/coding-standards.html

The highlights of this page as pertains to your question are:
As to including the log4j jar in your WEB-INF/lib, I don't believe that's necessary.  If log4j is already being pulled into geronimo, you can just add a dependency in your geronimo-web.xml.  I think you're also going to need a dependency on commons-logging as well, from what my previous copy/paste says.  I'm not positive of that though, and I lack a geronimo install to check so maybe someone with more know-how could chime in with a yay or nay.

Hope this helps,

Jason Warner