geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: AW: Using XDoclet to generate openejb-jar.xml
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2007 23:32:00 GMT

On Aug 24, 2007, at 9:34 AM, Jonathan Gallimore wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback. I'm still using EJB 2, and haven't used
> EJB 3 before. My new EJB 3 book is on its way from Amazon.

Great.  I like the O'Reilly one.  Though I haven't really read the
book since Richard retired for book authoring.

> It sounds like what I've done for generating a deployment
> descriptor for EJB 2 is unlikely to be useful to people using EJB
> 3, and perhaps any kind of deployment descriptor generator is
> unnecessary to those people?

Pretty much.   A bit more detail below.

> I'm sure I can convince people at work that we need to move to EJB
> 3, if that's what's recommended.

The great thing about ejb3 is that for quite a lot of it it's
subtractive, so you're not really moving but re-moving.  Any app
becomes an EJB 3.0 app the second you delete the namespace in the ejb-
jar.xml that declares it is 2.1 (or 2.0, etc).  It will be assumed as
an EJB 3.0 app and from there you can keep deleting.  The more
annotations you add, the more descriptor you can delete.  It's a
pretty direct conversion for Session beans and MessageDriven Beans.
Let me give you the crib notes:

@Stateless or @Stateful on a class replaces the descriptor tags
<session>, <ejb-name>, <session-type>Stateless</session-type>, and

<session-type>Stateful</session-type>.

@RemoteHome or @LocalHome is used on a class to replace <home> or
<local-home>.  We inspect the actual home or local-home interface to
determine the related <remote> or <local> interface.

@TransactionManagement on a class replaces <transaction-type>

@TransactionAttribute on a class and/or method replaces <container-
transaction>.  You'll need one @TransactionAttribute for each
<container-transaction>/<method> xml element.  A <method-name>*</
method-name> would turn into an @TransactionAttribute on a class,
everything else would go on methods.

@EJB used on a class replaces <ejb-ref> and <ejb-local-ref>.  @EJB
used on a field or setter method (private or public) request
injection of that EJB as well.  When @EJB is used on a class the
"beanInterface" attribute is required.  When used on a field or
setter method, the "beanInterface" attribute defaults to the type of
the field or setter method.

@Resource used on a class replaces <env-entry>, <resource-ref>,
<resource-env-ref>.  @Resource used on a field or method (private or
public) requests injection of that resource.  When @Resource is used
on a class, the "type" attribute is required.  When used on a field
or method, the "type" attribute defaults to the type of the field or
setter method.

There are more annotations obviously, but these are fairly simple and
get rid of a ton of xml.

> I'm still planning on doing more work the XDoclet plugin, just
> hoping for some spare time when the day job isn't getting in the
> way ;-)

If you're interested in working on a truly cool tool, help us write
the anti-XDoclet :)

http://www.nabble.com/ejb-jar.xml-to-Annotations-tool-tf4325175.html

-David