geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Ueberbach, Michael" <michael.ueberb...@dbh.de>
Subject AW: Using XDoclet to generate openejb-jar.xml
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2007 14:57:39 GMT
Hello,

I followed the discussion about using XDoclet with great interest. I
have been using XDoclet for the last four years to generate EJB
applications and it has been very usefull all the time. But meanwhile
(since EJB 3) I think the situation has changed dramatically. Most of
what I have done with XDoclet (creating local or remote interfaces,
utility classes, homefinder classes, value objects and so on) isn't
neccessary anymore. There is also no more need for generating any large
deployment descriptor!
After converting my old EJB 2 projects to EJB 3 there remain only two
artefacts that still have to be build: A very little persistence.xml and
a deployment plan for geronimo. What is important for the last one is,
that there are no cmp entries to be made inside the openejb-jar.xml
because this can all be done by annotations inside the bean code. The
only important entries made in the deployment plan are some dependencies
to special libs. So I wonder what XDoclet really can do in this case?
Probably it was the great success of XDoclet that lead to the annotation
concept of EJB 3 and in consequence made XDoclet less usefull (only for
this kind of code generation naturally).
I'm interested to hear other opinions on this item.

regards
Michael