geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Problem at geronimo boot
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2007 17:56:39 GMT

On Aug 27, 2007, at 5:47 PM, Paolo Denti wrote:

> Hi, i am a brand new geronimo user (or at least i am trying to be)
> I am trying to deploy already existing applications (EARs), already
> working on jboss, without any particular deployment descriptior, on
> geronimo.
> I always get NPEs at geronimo startup. below you can find the
> stacktrace.
> it happens if i deploy with geronimo running or if i deploy with
> geronimo stopped and then start geronimo.
>
> environment is
> - geronimo 2.0.1 with jetty
> - os x 10.4.10
> - jdk 1.5.0_07
> - JAVA_HOME=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/
> CurrentJDK/Home
>
> thanks
> Paolo
>
> Geronimo Application Server started
> 23:16:07,293 ERROR [Deployer] Deployment failed due to
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>         at
> org.apache.geronimo.deployment.CopyResourceContext.addFile
> (CopyResourceContext.java:144)
>         at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.DeploymentContext.addFile
> (DeploymentContext.java:461)
>         at
> org.apache.geronimo.web25.deployment.AbstractWebModuleBuilder.installM
> odule(AbstractWebModuleBuilder.java:288)
>         at
> org.apache.geronimo.web25.deployment.AbstractWebModuleBuilder$
> $FastClassByCGLIB$$8523248f.invoke(<generated>)
>         at
> org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.FastMethodInvoker.invoke
> (FastMethodInvoker.java:38)
>         at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanOperation.invoke
> (GBeanOperation.java:124)
>         at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.invoke
> (GBeanInstance.java:830)
>         at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.RawInvoker.invoke
> (RawInvoker.java:57)
>         at
> org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.RawOperationInvoker.invoke
> (RawOperationInvoker.java:35)
>         at
> org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.ProxyMethodInterceptor.intercept
> (ProxyMethodInterceptor.java:96)
>         at org.apache.geronimo.j2ee.deployment.ModuleBuilder$
> $EnhancerByCGLIB$$ab38932.installModule(<generated>)
>         at
> org.apache.geronimo.j2ee.deployment.SwitchingModuleBuilder.installModu
> le(SwitchingModuleBuilder.java:153)
>         at
> org.apache.geronimo.j2ee.deployment.SwitchingModuleBuilder$
> $FastClassByCGLIB$$d0c31844.invoke(<generated>)

Hi Paolo,
Backing up to your original problem, I've run some hot-deploy tests
(deploying an EAR with WARS, etc), and didn't see a problem. If you
can make your app available, I'm sure somebody would take a look at it.

Alternatively, you can debug the createModule() method in either the
Tomcat or Jetty ModuleBuilders:

modules/geronimo-jetty6-builder/src/main/java/org/apache/geronimo/
jetty6/deployment/JettyModuleBuilder.java or
modules/geronimo-tomcat6-builder/src/main/java/org/apache/geronimo/
tomcat/deployment/TomcatModuleBuilder.java

The builder should be setting specDD to contain the entire contents
of the deployment descriptor. It seems that we aren't finding that
file. Since your manual deploy is working, it seems that the DD must
exist and be in the right place. Perhaps some error is occurring
during the hot deployment process...

--kevan