geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Librairies/Modules Dependencies
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2007 16:01:09 GMT

On Aug 30, 2007, at 10:50 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> On Aug 30, 2007, at 12:56 AM, moum wrote:
>

>> -------------------- Sorry for reposting but my message is sitll
>> pending
>> -----------------
>> Hello,
>>   I'm trying to configure Geronimo 1.1.1 for my needs since few
>> days and I
>> didn't find any solutions in the doc or forum... so here is my
>> problem :
>>     - I have a jar (test.jar) containing my domain objects and
>> hibernate/spring DAO classes  to access my DB.
>>     - I have an EAR app with (at least) a web app using that jar.
>>
>> The first deployment I did was :
>>   1.  package all my classes and it's dependencies (spring,
>> hibernate,
>> commons-collections...) in a single jar file (test.jar)
>>   2. add that jar as a commons lib(lib/test/3.2/jar)
>>   3. add a dependency to that lib in the geronimo-application.xml
>> of the ear
>> app
>>
>> This work fine !! Now, I'd like to not have to package all
>> thirdparty libs
>> in my test.jar file ! I could add all dependencies in my
>> geronimo-application.xml but I would prefer to "specify" (HERE is the
>> Problem :o)) that test.jar depends on other libs and that my ear
>> depends on
>> lib/test/3.3.0/jar...
>>
>> My Tests:
>>   -   I tried to add all thirdparty jar as commons lib
>> (test/<thirdparty-lib>/<version>/jar) and hope test.jar will find
>> necessary
>> lib :o) ... OK this was a little bit optimistic :)

Heh...

>>   - I then put all the thirdparty libs in <geronimo_home>/var/
>> shared/lib/,
>> they are still not seen by test.jar classes

This should work. However, you need to add a dependency on geronimo/
sharedlib/1.1.1/car in your geronimo-application.xml

>>   - I've replaced third party in geronimo comons libs and tried to
>> create a
>> module instead of having a simple common lib jar : I created a
>> geronimo-service.xml under test.jar META-INF :
>>  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>>  <module xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/
>> deployment-1.1">
>>   <environment>
>>     <moduleId>
>>       <groupId>lib</groupId>
>>       <artifactId>test</artifactId>
>>       <version>3.3.0</version>
>>       <type>jar</type>
>>    </moduleId>
>>     <dependencies>
>>      <dependency>
>>     </dependency>
>>     </dependencies>
>>
>> Here is the deployement error
>> Deployer operation failed: Cannot deploy the requested application
>> module
>> because no deployer is able to handle it.  This can happen if you
>> have
>> omitted the J2EE deployment descriptor, disabled a deployer
>> module, or if,
>> for example, you are trying to deploy an EJB module on a minimal
>> Geronimo
>> server that does not have EJB support installed.
>> (moduleFile=D:\Programs\geronimo-1.1.1\var\temp\geronimo-
>> deployer13538.tmpdir\ep-core-3.3.0.jar)
>
> This method is what I'd recommend and it should work.  I don't see
> anything obvious wrong with your plan.  We don't have any "service
> jars" with embedded plans in the geronimo build and it's possible
> that feature doesn't work properly in 1.1.1.  You might try putting
> the plain test jar in the repo and deploying the plan separately:
> you might need to do this from the admin console.
>
> If I were investigating this I would debug the service-builder
> gbean to find out why it isn't recognizing the plan as something it
> needs to deploy.
>
> Would it be possible for you to switch to 2.0.1?  If you discover
> problems we are more likely to fix them quickly.

One thing to try before debugging, is to specify your geronimo-
service.xml deployment plan explicitly when deploying. E.g.:

./deploy.sh deploy test.jar geronimo-service.xml

Are you sure META-INF/geronimo-service.xml in your test.jar is
correct? No misspellings, etc?

--kevan