geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Jason Warner" <jaw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Access logging
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2007 14:09:16 GMT
Hey Simon,

Some basic logging information can be found on the geronimo coding standards
page found here: http://geronimo.apache.org/coding-standards.html

The highlights of this page as pertains to your question are:

   - Log as much as necessary for someone to figure out what broke
   - Use org.apache.commons.logging.Log rather than raw *Log4j*
   - Do not log throwables that you throw - leave it to the caller
   - Use flags to avoid string concatenation for *debug* and *trace*
   - Cache flags (especially for *trace*) to avoid excessive
   isTraceEnabled() calls

As to including the log4j jar in your WEB-INF/lib, I don't believe that's
necessary.  If log4j is already being pulled into geronimo, you can just add
a dependency in your geronimo-web.xml.  I think you're also going to need a
dependency on commons-logging as well, from what my previous copy/paste
says.  I'm not positive of that though, and I lack a geronimo install to
check so maybe someone with more know-how could chime in with a yay or nay.

Hope this helps,

Jason Warner