geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Problem at geronimo boot
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2007 02:41:10 GMT
Hi Paolo,
As David mentions, you're running into a Spring version conflict.
This is a problem that we've discovered in our geronimo-jetty6-
jee5-2.0.1 assembly. We're currently working on fixing the problem in
our 2.0.2 release. There are multiple work-arounds for the problem.
I've summarized 4 below.

> Are you including spring and acegi in your ear?  If so, which
> versions?
>
> Geronimo includes 2.0.5 and if you are using a different version
> that may cause conflicts.

Actually, Geronimo includes Spring 2.0.4.

> You could try including
>
> <dep:hidden-classes>
>   <dep:filter>org.springframework.</dep:filter>
> </dep:hidden-classes>

I'd recommend filtering spring resources as well. Namely:

<dep:hidden-classes>
   <dep:filter>org.springframework.</dep:filter>
   <dep:filter>META-INF/spring</dep:filter>
</dep:hidden-classes>

> in your geronimo-web.xml plan and perhaps also in geronimo-
> application.xml.
>
> Is your ear a single jar file or is it exploded (unpacked)?  If
> it's unpacked maybe it is not all copied in place before the hot
> deployer starts trying to deploy it??

I believe that Paolo is starting the server with the EAR in the
deploy directory. So, I don't think unpacking is an issue.

> Hope this results in at least different behavior :-)

I think you have the following options to work around this issue:

1. Repackage your EAR to include Spring 2.0.4, or
2. Reconfigure your Jetty assembly to use Axis2 as the Web Services
provider (this will avoid the conflicting Spring version), or
3. Download the Geronimo Tomcat assembly (http://www.apache.org/dyn/
closer.cgi/geronimo/2.0.1/geronimo-tomcat6-jee5-2.0.1-bin.tar.gz) and
use that instead, or
4. Use a Geronimo deployment plan and filter Spring classes/resources
(as described above).

I think #3 is perhaps your simplest solution, but if you want to be
use Jetty/CXF, we can get you up and running... It sounded like your
started down this path from your description on TSS. As I mentioned
there, you should ignore a "Restricted listeners property file not
found" log message in the console...

Regarding hot deploy -- I'll get a test EAR put together and perform
some hot-deploy testing... Most of our users use the deploy command
or Eclipse plug-in for deployment. Would be useful to know if you are
you placing the EAR into the deploy directory as a packed file or in
an unpacked format?

--kevan