geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Gallimore <jgallim...@wav2.com>
Subject Re: Using XDoclet to generate openejb-jar.xml
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2007 13:39:01 GMT
Hi Erik,

At the moment, I'm part way through getting our applications working on
Geronimo / Websphere-CE. We basically have two applications - our core
application which is used for building publications, and another app
that acts as a asset management system, and integrates with our core app
using JMS. The first one of the two is now up and running on a
Websphere-CE server, and hasn't really taken much to get it working at all.

Largely all I needed the J2G tool to do was create some new deployment
descriptors, which it did without any real problems. I needed to add
some EJB refs to my geronimo-web.xml, and I needed to create a
jms-resource-plan.xml myself. At first glance it didn't appear to
generate much in the way of <message-driven> elements and I was a fair
way through creating a patch to generate what I could from ejb-jar.xml
and then I realised there was some code to do it from annotations in the
source. By far and away the biggest problem I encountered was with how
our EARs were laid out. I think JBoss is too forgiving with its
classloader - we had a core.jar file inside our EJB.jar and nothing in
any jar manifests that specified any kind of classpath. (I believe it
was done in JBoss-IDE using this:
http://docs.jboss.com/jbosside/tutorial/build/en/pdf/JBossIDE-Tutorial.pdf
as a guide). I needed to do quite a bit of work to get it repackaged so
that Websphere would be happy with it.

I now need to do the same thing with the other app - I think this will
be more involved, we've used more JBoss specific classes in places, so
it'll hopefully be a good test of the J2G tool in terms of its code
conversion abilities. I'll let you know how I get on.

Overall I thought J2G was great (although it took ages to get it to
build - it wasn't obvious that Maven was going nuts because I was using
JDK1.6 - I couldn't find a binary on the web - is it worth adding a link
from the cwiki pages?) The reason behind exploring the XDoclet route, is
rather than 'migrating' to Geronimo, we'd like to add it to the app
servers we can support. Going forward, we'd like new beans we add etc to
work on both without needing to run J2G again, or editing two sets of
files. But in terms of getting the apps going ont Geronimo in the first
place, J2G has made the task much easier.

I'd be more than happy to contribute to the J2G project if I can.

Hope that's helpful.

Regards

Jon