geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo 1.1.1's Javamail does not work for some SMTP server with more than 1 beginning lines
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2007 13:00:45 GMT
No, this is just a bug in the Geronimo SMTP code.  The welcome protocol
handler was not expecting a multi-line response, so things got out of
sync.  I have a fix for this already (pretty trivial), but I don't have
a server that displays this behavior to text against.

Rick
'

Johannes Weberhofer, Weberhofer GmbH wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Have you tried to send via the smpt server with another mail-client
> and from the same IP? Have you checked if your server's ip is in an
> blacklict (try http://openrbl.org/ ). The issues sounds as if your
> server has been blocked at the smpt server for some reason!
>
> Good luck,
>
> Johnanes Weberhofer
>
> Rick McGuire wrote:
>> This is the first time I've encountered an SMTP server that sends a
>> response back like this.  I've opened a JIRA for this issue:
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-3427
>>
>> and I'll take a look at fixing this.  Since I don't have access to an
>> SMTP server that behaves this way, are you willing/able to help try
>> out potential fixes?
>>
>> Rick
>>
>> Chua Chee Seng wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am trying to use the Geronimo Javamail.  I have setup the resource
>>> and
>>> resource-ref stuff and try to send a mail from the application.  I
>>> turn off
>>> the debug flag and see the following in the console:-

>>> 220-xxx.xxx.xxx ESMTP Exim x.xx #1 Mon, 20 Aug 2007 16:29:11 +0800
>>> EHLO xxxxx
>>> 220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicted,
>>> HELO xxxxx
>>> 220 and/or bulk email.
>>>
>>> An exception is then thrown complaining that it fails to send HELO
>>> to the
>>> server.
>>>
>>> When using telnet xxxx 25 to my SMTP server, I found out that once
>>> connected, the SMTP is sending back three lines of text:-
>>> 220-xxx.xxx.xxx ESMTP Exim x.xx #1 Mon, 20 Aug 2007 16:29:11 +0800
>>> 220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicted,
>>> 220 and/or bulk email.
>>>
>>> I then try with a local SMTP using Apache JAMES, which successfully
>>> send the
>>> mail.  When I try to telnet localhost 25, it is sending back only
>>> one line
>>> of text:-
>>>
>>> 220 xxxx SMTP Server (JAMES SMTP Server 2.3.1) ready Mon, 20 Aug 2007
>>> 16:32:26 +0800 (SGT)
>>>
>>> I am suspecting Geronimo Javamail implementation (version 1.1.1)
>>> cannot be
>>> used on SMTP who sends back more than 1 lines of 220 service ready.  I
>>> investigate the source code of
>>> org.apache.geronimo.javamail.transport.smtp.SMTPTransport and study
>>> that
>>> getReply() method is using the receiveLine() method to read response