geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Oleg Nitz>
Subject Re: ClassCastException during EJB deployment
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2007 16:00:36 GMT
Thank you for your answer, David. You are right, I already had
EJBNetworkService and have installed the second one. The idea to do this
came to me when I got the following exception during JNDI lookup of my
bean from standalone client app:

Cannot deternmine server protocol version: Received null/0.0; nested
exception is: Unable to read protocol version.  Reached
the end of the stream.
         at javax.naming.InitialContext.init(
         at javax.naming.InitialContext.<init>(

Then I found this message
but didn't understand where to put "allowHosts" and decided to add a new
EJBNetworkService for that :-/
Okay, now I've got it: I've added
      <attribute name="allowHosts"></attribute>
to EJBNetworkService gbean in config.xml, now it looks this way:
   <module name="geronimo/openejb/1.1.1/car">
     <gbean name="EJBNetworkService">
       <attribute name="host"></attribute>
       <attribute name="port">4201</attribute>
       <attribute name="allowHosts"></attribute>
But nothing changes, I get the same exception during lookup().
Please, advise me the next step.

Thank you for your help,

David Jencks wrote:
> I don't understand what you are saying about needing to deploy the
> EJBNetworkService... I can see needing to change the port or host but
> there's one already started out of the box.
> Your error is caused by having 2 classloaders that load the openejb
> classes independently.  There should be only one such classloader per
> jvm, the one from the openejb config (module).  Can you figure out what
> the other one is?  If you really need another listener you should be
> sure that the openejb configuration (car) is a parent (dependency) of
> the configuration you put it in.  Openejb is extremely unlikely to work
> if you have more than one ContainerIndex running since most references
> to it are through a static variable.
> hope this helps
> david jencks
> On Aug 3, 2007, at 5:35 AM, Oleg Nitz wrote:
>> Hello all,
>> First I have successfully deployed my EJB, but couldn't connect to it
>> from standalone application. Then I found that I also need to deploy
>> EJBNetworkService/EJBServer stuff. Okay, did that and got
>> java.lang.ClassCastException: org.openejb.GenericEJBContainer
>>         at
>> org.openejb.EJBContainer$$EnhancerByCGLIB$$964163d7.getUnmanagedReference(<generated>)

>>         at org.openejb.ContainerIndex.doStart(
>> Then I undeployed my EJB and successfully deployed EJBNetworkService.
>> Now deployment of the EJB causes the same error.
>> I've found such error in the mail archives:

>> but that message left unanswered.
>> Did anyone have such problems?
>> Any guidelines for me on what to do next?
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Oleg
>> P.S. Geronimo 1.1.1 (actually, WAS CE)

View raw message