geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Strange memory problems / white screens
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2007 14:41:00 GMT

On Jul 19, 2007, at 10:14 AM, Ian Hunter wrote:

> We’ve noticed a problem where intermittently Geronimo starts
> failing to respond to web requests (browser symptom is a blank
> white screen) – when this starts happening, we notice that on the
> system info tab, the memory metrics display “Not Yet Available” but
> after we restart Geronimo completely, web requests work and the
> memory values display.
>

> Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Hi Ian,
Any errors showing up in var/log/geronimo.log? Is this behavior truly
intermittent or somewhat predictable? I would suspect that you have a
memory leak... Have you tracked memory utilization?

I've found the following useful:

export JAVA_OPTS=" -verbose:gc -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:
+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError"

First two options will cause GC statistics to be printed by the JVM.

HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError will cause a heap dump to be created on
OOME conditions. Very handy for post-mortem analysis... There's no
overhead associated with this setting (only pay a cost when you run
out of memory).

--kevan