geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Peter Petersson <pe...@pmb.mine.nu>
Subject Re: Server state issues
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2007 08:32:42 GMT
Rodrigo Rodrigues da Silva wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am relatively new to Apache Geronimo. I am implementing a software
> engineering lab project at the university and chose Geronimo as an
> application server. I have downloaded and installed the Geronimo
> Plugin for Eclipse 1.2.0 through update manager. I am running Geronimo
> 1.1.1 on a i386-debian-4.0r0 and Eclipse SDK 3.2.2 with WST 1.5.4
> (from update manager) on an amd64 with Ubuntu 7.04 (eclipse installed
> from repositories) and Sun Java 5 JVM (also from repositories).
>
> There are two issues I've been facing, which are:
>
> 1. The local server won't start from inside the IDE. It actually
> starts but remains in "Starting..." state after a successful startup.
> After several minutes, Eclipse returns a fail message. I have seen
> some issues alike reported on this list, but the possible solution
> (install 1.2.1 plugin) didn't work. I downloaded the daily 1.2.1
> driver from devtools site but unzipping it to the plugins/features
> directories was effectless (there was no "Geronimo" runtime
> available). The worst thing is that this bug seemed to have been
> resolved on 1.2.0 as I could read from its release notes. Another fact
> is that starting a local server worked at a faculty machine running
> Windows 2k.
I am also using Ubuntu but I stop fetching Eclipse from Ubuntu repos as
there was issues with file rights creating problem when fetching new
eclipse modules via eclipse download manager. I don't know the current
situation but I know Eclipse has set up a project, inviting linux dists,
to try to overcome this type of problems. Maybe your problems are
related to process and file ownership rights ? I suggest you download
and install eclipse into /usr/local and make sure the eclipse user have
all the rights he needs also on the geronimo files and processes.
hope this helps
thanks
   Peter Petersson