geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Asking again: No registered context in security getCurrentContext() after apps run for two days.
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2007 18:22:04 GMT

On Jul 31, 2007, at 10:30 AM, Geronimo User wrote:

> We are using geronimo-1.1.1 and have a reproducible problem.
>
> When we start Geronimo with our apps deployed in it, and leave it to
> run for two days, we cannot then access geronimo for some requests.
>
> When we submit a simple request, e.g., http://localhost:8080/console
> we get the error shown at the end of this message.
>
> We've looked in Geronimo's JIRA system for bugs in these classes and
> packages, searched Google, looked at the source code in Geronimo's
> 1.1.1 SVN repository, tried to turn on logging in various packages in
> Geronimo.
>
> We have reduced our session timeout settings to a very small number to
> try to reproduce the issue in case it depended on sessions timing out;
> but that didn't cause the problem.
>
> We've looked for other settings that establish timeouts on other
> things, and didn't find them.
>
> What should we do now in order to find out why this is happening?
> Are there any troubleshooting properties we can turn on?

Heh. Nice email address...

So, all is well for the first two days? Then some requests fail (e.g.
the console), but others work? No other indications of problems in
the server log?

I'd guess you're either running out of some resource (threads/
connectors, etc) or you have a memory leak. Have you checked your
memory utilization? Assuming Java 5, you could run with the following
JAVA_OPTS="-XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:
+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError" (assuming you're using startup/geronimo
sh/bat scripts). Alternatively, bump up your heap and permgen
settings and see if the time-to-failure increases -- JAVA_OPTS="-
Xmx256m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m", for example...

--kevan