geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Glen Mazza <glen.ma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Derby DB in Geronimo
Date Sat, 14 Jul 2007 15:44:12 GMT

>Last I heard (several years ago) derby didn't support read only
>databases -- it needed somewhere to write locks or something like
>that.  Can derby work from a resource url?

Actually, I don't care if the DB is read-only or not; after initial loading
I don't plan on adding more rows or updating them (whether or not the DB
enforces that is not important to me).

>> To test this, I tried to log into my sample Derby database I
>> created in
>> Geronimo (located in geronimo/var/derby/mydbname) from ij -- it
>> failed when
>> Geronimo was running, but worked after I shut down Geronimo.  I did
>> this
>> last year with Derby standalone and documented it:
>>
>> [1] http://www.jroller.com/page/gmazza?
>> entry=apache_derby_in_network_server

>well, from this gbean in system-database:

>     <gbean name="DerbyNetwork"
>class="org.apache.geronimo.derby.DerbyNetworkGBean">

>reference>
>         <attribute name="host">localhost</attribute>
>         <attribute name="port">1527</attribute>
>     </gbean>

>and the success of a bunch of tck tests that use app client access to
>the derby instance running in the server, I'm pretty sure that the
>network connector is turned on and working.  Maybe the host=localhost
>rather than 0.0.0.0 or a specific interface is the problem?  What
>connect string did you use for ij?

Yes, thankfully I stand corrected here--Geronimo's Derby *does* run in
network server mode and hence databases managed by it can be accessed
externally.  (From ij, I was trying to connect using the embedded URL
format--such as connect
'jdbc:derby://usr/myapps/geronimo/var/derby/testdb'--instead of the Network
URL format, which was my problem)

Anyway, I created a Sandbox page with my observations, in case this helps
other Derby users:
http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxSBOX/using-derby-with-geronimo.html

Thanks again,
Glen