geronimo-user mailing list archives

From gmazza <glen.ma...@gmail.com>
Subject Derby DB in Geronimo
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2007 15:44:59 GMT

Hello,

I am thinking of using the DerbyDB embedded in Geronimo for a web
application.  I have a couple of questions about the Derby that is in
Geronimo:

1.)  Does Geronimo's Derby run in embedded mode or network server mode?  If
the former (which I believe but would like to confirm), does that mean I
would need a separate instance of Derby if I want to run in Network server
mode?

2.)  Is it possible (or practical) to embed Derby within a web application
WAR file, preconfigure it with sample tables and rows, etc., and have the
webapp access *that* embedded Derby instance, and not the one that comes
with Geronimo (or any network server version possibly running on the
machine)?  I am asking this because it would be nice for a sample web
application if I could configure it such that no database configuration
would be necessary for a user; they would just need to deploy the WAR and it
will work out-of-the-box.

Thanks,
Glen