geronimo-user mailing list archives

From dharbige <dharb...@aconite.net>
Subject Re: Missing JAR when depolying EAR
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2007 14:51:27 GMT

djencks wrote:

> I think you have this situation, based on the stack trace:
>
> war with manfest classpath containing foo.jar
> foo.jar has jcifs.jar in its manifest classpath.

I thought of this, which is why I manually checked the manifest files of all
the JARs and WARs in the EAR.  None of them (seem to) refer to jcifs.jar,
nor to any other JARs that *could* refer to jcifs.jar.

djencks wrote:

> There are a couple of things we could change here, I'd be interested
> in some opinions...
>
> -- if we run into this error print more information about how we got
> there, such as all the jars examined for manifest classpath so far:
> "foo.jar" will be on the list fairly near the end.

This would be very useful.  It's a bit annoying for G to complain about a
missing JAR, but give no information as to why it thinks the JAR is
required.

djencks wrote:

> -- allow people to have bad manifest classpaths, and just warn loudly
> about them rather than refusing to deploy.

Or make it a configurable option - Strict or Relaxed manifest checking.

djencks wrote:

> I'm a little worried about (2) because its so easy to miss warnings
> no matter how large the type size they are presented in :-).  On the
> other hand if you include 3rd party jars in your ear they may have
> bizarre and incomprehensibly wrong manifest classpaths that you don't
> want to fix :-)

This change definitely gets a vote from me.  I'd rather have the option to
take a risk myself, rather than being rejected out of hand.  If G warns me
(it thinks) something is missing, and I subsequently get ClassNotFound
exceptions, that's my problem.