geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Ian Hunter" <ihun...@informiam.com>
Subject RE: Strange memory problems / white screens
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2007 16:00:05 GMT
Where do I find the output from -verbose:gc - I don't see anything new in
geronimo.log.

  _____

From: Kevan Miller [mailto:kevan.miller@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2007 10:41 AM
To: user@geronimo.apache.org
Subject: Re: Strange memory problems / white screens

On Jul 19, 2007, at 10:14 AM, Ian Hunter wrote:

We've noticed a problem where intermittently Geronimo starts failing to
respond to web requests (browser symptom is a blank white screen) - when
this starts happening, we notice that on the system info tab, the memory
metrics display "Not Yet Available" but after we restart Geronimo
completely, web requests work and the memory values display.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Hi Ian,

Any errors showing up in var/log/geronimo.log? Is this behavior truly
intermittent or somewhat predictable? I would suspect that you have a memory
leak... Have you tracked memory utilization?

I've found the following useful:

export JAVA_OPTS=" -verbose:gc -XX:+PrintGCDetails
-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError"

First two options will cause GC statistics to be printed by the JVM.

HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError will cause a heap dump to be created on OOME
conditions. Very handy for post-mortem analysis... There's no overhead
associated with this setting (only pay a cost when you run out of memory).

--kevan