geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Ian Hunter" <ihun...@informiam.com>
Subject RE: Strange memory problems / white screens
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2007 15:22:12 GMT
This is Geronimo 1.1.1 running on Window (!!!) JDK 1.5.0_11 - there *was*
Apache running mod_jk but I took it out of the loop using
ProxyPass/ProxyPassReverse.  There are a small handful of apps (one EAR,
maybe 3 WARs) on the server.

We're starting to monitor memory usage more closely, but after the problem
occurs, we can't see memory usage - we get that "Not Yet Available" message.

  _____

From: Peter Petersson [mailto:peter@pmb.mine.nu]
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2007 11:15 AM
To: user@geronimo.apache.org
Subject: Re: Strange memory problems / white screens

Someone is probably going to as you this so I might as well ;)

What version of Geronimo are you running ?
What jdk version?
Is there a Apache server involved via mod_jk ?
Is it one G deployed application in particular that you notice the problem
in?
Is there other G deployed apps?

At my work we run a G v1.1.1 server and have several Geronimo deployed
applications with occasionally somewhat heavy load without any memory leaks
in G (months of uptime) so if this is the version you are using I would
start looking at the deployed applications memory handling.
Is there a steady increase of memory usage?  you can look at the Information
page to keep track at it. If this is the case some of your deployed
applications may leak memory as the garbage collector cant release some
resources (like open database connections holding on to it), tailing good
logging output could help locating the problem.

regards
   Peter Petersson

Ian Hunter wrote:

We've noticed a problem where intermittently Geronimo starts failing to
respond to web requests (browser symptom is a blank white screen) - when
this starts happening, we notice that on the system info tab, the memory
metrics display "Not Yet Available" but after we restart Geronimo
completely, web requests work and the memory values display.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Ian Hunter
Solution Architect

925 Northpoint Parkway, Suite 430
Alpharetta, GA 30005