geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Problems in configuring dependency on EAR
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2007 15:11:44 GMT

On Jun 8, 2007, at 4:25 AM, Alex Korostov wrote:

> I'm using Geronimo 1.1 and 1.1.1 with Tomcat.
>
> I have a EAR that includes JARs and a WAR. This application works
> fine.
>
> Also I have another (second) WAR application that is NOT included
> in that
> EAR, but have to use some classes from the JARs and a WAR resided
> in the
> EAR.
> I declared dependency on this EAR module in the geronimo-web.xml of
> the
> second WAR. However I got the NoClassDefFoundError exceptions when
> trying to
> use the classes from EAR's JARs or WAR.
> It looks like that by default, if I create a dependency on EAR I
> still do
> not have the EAR's classes in the classpath.
>
> Note, that if I have two WARs (not inside EARs), the same
> dependency between
> WARs works well. Even classes from the JARs located in the WEB-INF/lib
> folder are accessible for the second WAR.

Since this works I think that you have successfully figured out to
depend on the deployed module "car" file rather than the undeployed
war/ear/whatever file.

> What should I do to get the same approach work if I need use
> classes from
> EAR?

In an ear, we set up one classloader for all the rar and ejb jar
modules, together with their manifest classpath (I'll call this the
ear classloader), and one classloader for each war file.  If you have
a dependency on the ear module you just get the classes in the ear
classloader.  I don't think it's possible to have a dependency on one
of the internal war classloaders.  So I think your options are:

- use 2.0-M6 and put all the classes you need in jars in a lib
directory inside the ear
- use 1.1.1 and add a fake ejb jar that has a deployment descriptor
but no ejbs.  Either put the classes you need externally in this jar
or reference the jars in the manifest classpath.

You could also open a jira requesting the ability to depend on wars
inside ears.

thanks
david jencks