Please read Aaron's book on Geronimo http://www.chariotsolutions.com/geronimo/geronimo-1.1/geronimo-html-one-page.html . I find it to be a great documentation for almost anything related to Geronimo Deployment Plans.

I can understand your frustrations. It's no different for me when it comes to manually creating Geronimo Deployment Plans.

I have always wished that Geronimo Development Tools (like Geronimo Eclipse Plug-in) provide some facility for auto-creating/updating those deployment plans. I have created a wiki page summarizing my proposal:  http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxPMGT/geronimo-deployment-plans-how-to-simplify-creation-or-updation.html

Would be useful if you and other users/developers can provide feedback on it as well post new proposals if any on that page. I think it would be useful if I float a separate mail on User list for this.

- Shiva