geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Resource Refs in an ejb-jar inside an EAR on Geronimo 2-0-M5
Date Sun, 27 May 2007 22:07:33 GMT

On May 27, 2007, at 12:09 PM, ptriller wrote:

> Hi !
>
> Ok, my Problem.
>
> I try to have some EE5 MDBs inside an EAR for geronimo-2.0-M5.
>
> I managed to add the resource-adapter to my EAR, and it seems to work.
> Becaue I can inject
> the resources from the Resource Adapter  into a Listener class in
> my Webapp
> (also included in
> my EAR) and if I voluntarily add some typos to the resource adapter
> or the
> resource-ref or
> resource-env-res in my geronimo-web, I get deployment errors.
>
> So far so good.
>
> Now I want to add an ejb-jar with an MDB. ok....
>
> I write an EJB .. annotate it. and put it in a jar ... add it to the
> application.xml .. all is well.
>
> That works no problem with stateless session beans .. but now I
> have some
> JNDI  and env
> resources to map ..
> so I add an openejb-jar.xml to the jar .
>
> It seems they changed the xsd for this file substantially in the 2.0
> release.. I had to
> get the xsd from the geronimo server to know what I should do.
>
> The new format seems to be very simplistic compared to the old
> ones....
>
> my current openejb-jar.xml is
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <openejb-jar xmlns="http://www.openejb.org/openejb-jar/1.1">
> 	<ejb-deployment ejb-name="ScheduledTestEJB">
> 		<resource-link res-ref-name="jms/QueueConnectionFactory"
> 			res-id="ConnectionFactory" />
> 		<resource-link res-ref-name="jms/ScheduleManagerQueue"
> 			res-id="ScheduleManagerQueue" />
> 		<resource-link res-ref-name="jms/ScheduledTopic"
> 			res-id="ScheduledTopic" />
> 	</ejb-deployment>
> </openejb-jar>
>
> If I try to use the old format, I only get parse errors...
>

> so ... My question is.
>
> How do I map env-resources (in my case JMX Topics and Queues)  and
> normal
> resources correctly with this new openejb format ?

The openejb 2.x xml plan format should still work, it is either
converted on the fly to the new format or understood by some part of
the deployer.  I've been seeing one error message per ejb  plan but
it doesn't seem to have any bad effects, the ejbs still deploy and
work fine.

The last I heard was that it was better to use the 2.x plans rather
than a 3.x plan for openejb stuff since the conversion code will
continue to be maintained but the 3.x schema is subject to change
without any backward compatibility -- you would have  to update your
plans yourself.

What is actually not working with the 2.x plans?

thanks
david jencks