geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Doug Lochart <dloch...@capecomputing.com>
Subject Re: Different Exception during deploy this time
Date Wed, 23 May 2007 18:49:57 GMT
David Carew wrote:
> IIRC the  Web App you refer to is specific to WebSphere. This is how
> WebSphere handles EJB Web Services (ie the tooling adds a Web app that
> points to a WebSphere specific class).
>
> For Geronimo you don't need this web app and it's extremely doubtful
> it would work. It  would require dragging around WebSphere internal
> classes. IMHO you're better off concentrating on getting the EJB Web
> Service up and running the "Geronimo way". I found this section of
> Aaron Mulder's book  very helpful when I had to deploy an EJB Web
> Service in Geronimo a while back.
> http://www.chariotsolutions.com/geronimo/geronimo-1.1/web-services-server.html#id2633024

I know it is not needed in Geronimo but the actual end production
deployment is in WAS 6.0 and most likely will be needed there.  I think
we have finally convinced the powers that be that although Geronimo is a
great product, WAS CE is NOT WAS and should not be treated as a drop in
replacement.

I wish I could have created this on my own 'the Geronimo way' but my
task was to port an existing ear.  I actually got the EAR deployed and
started once I removed the WAR with the IBM specific class.  I have no
idea if that class is necessary in this whole app (I actually do not
know what the internals of this thing does).

Anyway we have purchased the Developers edition of WAS 6.1 Express and
will use that.  Personally I prefer Open Source tools but when you are
supporting an app that is running in and deployed upon a WAS 6.0
environment it makes sense to replicate that environment with something
very similar.

Thanks to all for your assistance.

I will continue to use geronimo for my personal endeavors.

Doug