geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Doug Lochart <dloch...@capecomputing.com>
Subject Re: geronimo plan help
Date Sat, 19 May 2007 14:07:04 GMT
Lin,

Thanks for trying to help.  I do appreciate it.  I may not have made my
questions/gripes clear.  So I will reiterate after your replies.

Lin Sun wrote:
> Hi, I am not a plan expert at all but I'll try answer your questions...
>
> What I find most useful besides reading the existing samples and
> documentations, is to use the schema files (generally located at the
> server_home\schema directory.)  For example, I am looking at my
> geronimo 2.0 server now, and the geronimo-module-{version}.xsd is the
> schema for namespace
> "http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-{version}".  You 'll
> want to look at the geronimo-application-{version}.xsd for
> geronimo-application.xml file.

I have looked at the examples and what I have now is from them as well
as help from the forum.  What I am griping about is that even the
documents are syntactically described in the xsd they are not described
verbally as to what they mean or how they are used.  I can read and use
a schema but it doesn't help if I don;t know how or why I am
constructing the xml document.

The other issue I had was that I have an EAR with a WAR and EJB-JAR
inside.  Nowhere in the documentation did it cover the rules of what
plans are required.  Almost all examples attacke either a WAR or EJB
alone.  The one example that starts doing an EAR is never completed.

So when I was creating mine I had a geronimo-application.xml (which I
kept outside the ear), a geronimo-web.xml in the WAR, and an
openejb-jar.xml in the ejb.jar.  One forum member asked me to remove the
geronimo-web.  It seemed to not break anything and I think it may have
made things go farther but again I still have no clue what combinations
(or why) of geronimo specific plans are required in an ear.

> Doug Lochart wrote:
>

>> openejb-jar xmlns="http://www.openejb.org/xml/ns/openejb-jar-2.1">
>>  <dep:environment
>> xmlns:dep="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.1">
>>    <dep:moduleId>
>>      <dep:groupId>qdfrancepolicy.</dep:groupId>
>>      <dep:artifactId>FrancePolicyServverEjb</dep:artifactId>
>>      <dep:version>1.0</dep:version>
>>      <dep:type>car</dep:type>
>>    </dep:moduleId>
>>    <dep:dependencies>
>>      <dep:dependency>
>>        <dep:groupId>geronimo</dep:groupId>
>>        <dep:artifactId>tomcat</dep:artifactId>
>>        <dep:type>car</dep:type>
>>      </dep:dependency>
>>    </dep:dependencies>
>>    <dep:hidden-classes/>
>>    <dep:non-overridable-classes/>
>>  </dep:environment>
>>  <enterprise-beans>
>>    <session>
>>      <ejb-name>FrancePolicyServer</ejb-name>
>>      <jndi-name>qdfrancepolicy.FrancePolicyHome</jndi-name>
>>    </session>
>>  </enterprise-beans>
>> </openejb-jar>
>>
>> Is the dep:groupId supposed to match the sys:groupID on the app?  If
>> not how is it used?  What does artifactid do?  Does it matter what I
>> name it?  Does the name have to correspond to another field somewhere?
>
> No, it needs to be dep:groupId here as you had "<dep:environment
> > xmlns:dep="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/deployment-1.1">"
> defined earlier.

This I got from an example but I still would like an explanation of what
it means.  To me it looks I just use the package of the bean as that is
what the example had (with a trailing dot) but no mention is made as
what, how or why.
> An artifactid is the artifact/module's unique id inside of the
> repository (typical location is server_home\repository).   You need to
> come up with a unique id for your module.   This is actually a maven
> concept.

Okay, this is what I thought so when I have an EAR with an EJB and WAR
what do I have?
1 module (the application) with 2 or 3 artifiacts unique within the
module but not necessarily unique to all of the server OR
3 moules one for the ear, war, and ejb and they need to be unique
globally?  Again this is the stuff that is missing a good narrative in
my opinion.

I would like to write up something covering all this stuff as I feel I
am not the only one in this boat.  However I cannot write about what I
do not grasp fully.

>> Then there is the dep:dependency.  I added geronimo/tomcat in because
>> I was asked to do so (thanks again by the way).  I assume it is
>> telling geronimo that I want to use tomcat as my web container but
>> again I can't find any decent explanation as to what is going on.
>> The IoC design of this thing is real cool but unless I am just
>> totally stupid ( I am green with EJB ) I cannot seem to find anything
>> that pieces things together in any coherent fashion.
>>
>> Am I missing something?  Did all of you pop in and look at the plan
>> docs and just suddenly realize how to do it in a day or something?
>
> By specifying the dependencies, your app asks the server to make sure
> all the dependency modules are avail when your app starts.

I _understand_ what a dependency means _BUT_ I could not find anything
that specified what modules you need, what are supplied as default, and
how you would know if you need them.  There are a lot of things in the
repository after you install geronimo.  It looks like all of geronimo is
a bunch of modules working together (great concept, I like the Spring
methodology) but to me as a newbie I think they are just part of
geronimo and that I do not need to mess with anything in there.

> HTH, Lin

Thanks Lin, I hope others can also jump in a get a good discussion
going.  Maybe I will get enough info and work my way through my problems
to actually write up a good overview.

Doug