geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Web Application Migration to Geronimo
Date Mon, 21 May 2007 14:30:34 GMT

On May 20, 2007, at 4:33 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> On May 19, 2007, at 2:25 PM, Doug Lochart wrote:
>
>> David Jencks wrote:
>>> I don't see any obvious way this could be happening.  I would
>>> investigate by putting a breakpoint just before where the
>>> exception is thrown and looking at the classloader and what is
>>> being loaded in the debugger.
>>>
>> Believe it or not I don't use Eclipse or other IDE ... except for
>> the debugger aspect I despise them.  My fingers and mind are
>> trained for emacs thus I rarely use IDE's unless I need a
>> debugger.  So that being said how painful is it to setup geronimo
>> under Eclipse or other debugger?  Is there an easy step by step
>> process to do this some where posted?  At this point in time I
>> don't really want to take a week just to get it running under a
>> debugger.  If it is simple then I will do so.  Actually if I don't
>> have another option I guess I will have to do so.
>> What IDE/Debugger would you suggest is the least painless to use
>> with Geronimo?  I tried Eclipse a long time ago and hated the way
>> it forced its structure on me.  I don't want to get into a war on
>> IDE's but and IDE should never dictate external process or
>> structure.  Okay off my soapbox ... any way I happy to do what you
>> suggest.
>
> I use intellij IDEA and really like it.  After about an hour I
> abandoned my years of emacs use and haven't looked back for java
> code.  If you can get a copy (I think they have a free trial) run

FYI, Eclipse has *ok* bindings of emacs keys. It's one of the reasons
that I'm using Eclipse over Intellij, at the moment. The emacs key
bindings won't do everything that you'll want to do. However, you may
find the transition a bit easier... You don't necessarily have to do
a lot of editing in the IDE, anyway...

There's some emacs support in Intellij, but at the time I looked, not
enough... That may have changed, or I may not have looked in the
right places...

Eclipse setup is similar to Idea. There's information on getting
Eclipse setup in our wiki -- http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDEV/
developing-geronimo-in-eclipse.html

To enable emacs key bindings in Eclipse: Windows -> Preferences ->
General -> Keys -> Scheme -> Emacs

--kevan