geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Mark Aufdencamp <m...@aufdencamp.com>
Subject RE: How important is simplifying Creation/Updation of Geronimo Deployment Plans?
Date Mon, 21 May 2007 16:52:10 GMT
It's definitely needed!&nbsp; I'm the Architecture/Project Manager type
with twenty years in the business.&nbsp; I've been engaged in re-learning the JEE stack
over the last six months with Geronimo.&nbsp; I've been befuddled a half dozen times in
the learning curve by the configuration files. This list has helped to resolve all of them:)</div>
I've been using MyEclipse learning materials which are all JBoss
based.&nbsp; I've been able to use XDoclet to generate my ejb-jar.xml.&nbsp; This
has been very helpful, but I have had to hand translate the open-ejb.jar components.&nbsp;
This also applies to the geronimo-web.xml file.&nbsp; It would have been very helpful
to have these generated by the XDoclet annotations like the available JBoss tags.&nbsp;
I would also mention at this point that the lack of a global JNDI service created an additional
learning knock about the container specific configuraion files:).&nbsp; Yes, they have
to be defined n the container config in order to be accessed.&nbsp; That's the developer
perspective in me.</div>
Now for the Architect/PM side.&nbsp; I very much believe in the
seperation of duties, and auditability of application/server/network administration.&nbsp;
I don't believe that I can get my server administrators to create a hand crafted deployment
plan that would have any chance at mashing up with generic code coming from my web developer
or ejb/database developer!&nbsp; A template system that incorporated creation of the container
specific configuration based on the web.xml and ejb-jar.xml would be a valuable tool within
the server administration tool set.&nbsp; I would expect a tool like this to be available
within the management console in direct proximity to the deploy application tool!&nbsp;
Setting deployment specific environment values falls within this scope as well.&nbsp;
&nbsp;In my early J2EE experiences with Websphere 3.5, this was I believe a component
of the server jar deployment wizard.</div>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 8px; MARGIN-LEFT: 8px; BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px solid" webmail="1">--------
Original Message --------<BR>Subject: How important is simplifying Creation/Updation
of Geronimo<BR>Deployment Plans?<BR>From: "Shiva Kumar H R" &lt;shivahr@gmail.com&gt;<BR>Date:
Mon, May 21, 2007 8:38 am<BR>To: user@geronimo.apache.org<BR><BR>
Creating or updating of Geronimo Deployment Plans has always been a
tedious and erroneous task. As evident from the user mailing list, first time users (and sometimes
even advanced users) have always had some issue or the other when it comes to correctly creating
Geronimo deployment plans.<BR></div>
I have always wished that Geronimo Development Tools (like Geronimo
Eclipse Plug-in) provide some facility for auto creating or updating the Geronimo deployment
plans. I have created a wiki page summarizing my proposal: <BR><A onclick="return
top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxPMGT/geronimo-deployment-plans-how-to-simplify-creation-or-updation.html"
target=_blank>http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxPMGT/geronimo-deployment-plans-how-to-simplify-creation-or-updation.html
</A><BR></div>
If this is something of use for you as a user/developer, it would be
valuable if you can take a moment and provide your feedback/comment as a reply to this mail.
Your feedback/comment would help determine the needs of User community and would better convince
the dev-community into taking this up. </div>
Also if you have any new proposals please post it on the above wiki
page.<A onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxPMGT/geronimo-deployment-plans-how-to-simplify-creation-or-updation.html"
target=_blank> </A><BR></div>- Shiva<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV>