geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Safe shutdown
Date Tue, 29 May 2007 23:18:56 GMT

On May 29, 2007, at 3:09 PM, Mark Aufdencamp wrote:

> I would guess this probably depends on your application, but it
> doesnt sound like a good idea.  I would think that an EJB container
> would need to be able to safely complete transactions and passivate/
> deallocate it's Beans particular CMP Entity Beans.  The Web
> container might also maintain Application scoped information that
> needs a clean safe shutdown as well.

However, both the shutdown jar or console command and hitting ctrl-c
on your console have approximately the same effect in code -- calling
the shutdown hook that stops and unloads all the running
configurations in reverse order of their starting.    If your
application uses transactions properly any kind of shutdown shouldn't
result in data corruption, but you may lose partially computed
results in process.  We don't make any attempt I'm aware of to finish
processing in flight requests before turning off a gbean.

thanks
david jencks