geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Web Application Migration to Geronimo
Date Fri, 18 May 2007 07:13:26 GMT

On May 16, 2007, at 11:09 AM, Doug Lochart wrote:

> Actually it is to the WebSphere Application Server Community
> Edition which runs Geronimo pre-wired  with Tomcat.
>
> I have a web application deployed as an EAR  (Stateless Session EJB
> (in ejb_jar) , Servlet(in .WAR) ) that combined is a WebService.  I
> did not write the Application and I am real new to Web Services.

What exactly do you mean by "web service"? Is this a jaxrpc web
service deployed with all the required j2ee 1.4 xml files such as the
jaxrpc mapping file?

>   My task is to deploy this web application to WAS CE (Geronimo).
> I tried simply deploying it as is but of course it failed giving me
> an error like this:
>

> Error: Unable to distribute FrancePolicyServer.ear: Unable to
>    resolve reference "WebServiceContainer" in gbean
>    default/Application_ID/1179336634177/car?
> EJBModule=FrancePolicyServer_EJB.jar,J2EEApplication=default/
> Application_ID/1179336634177/
> car,StatelessSessionBean=FrancePolicyServer,j2eeType=WSLink,name=Franc
> ePolicyServer
>    to a gbean matching the pattern [?name=TomcatWebContainer#]
>
> First of all any idea what this error means?  I am sure it is a
> need for a plan but I would like to understand what is happening.

I'm surprised you are getting this error.  The gbean it's looking for
is in the tomcat configuration, so you might try adding the tomcat
car as a dependency of the ejb jar (not the web module war file) or
the ear.  However, the web service deployer is supposed to be adding
this dependency for you.
Something like this:

      <dep:dependency>
         <dep:groupId>geronimo</dep:groupId>
         <dep:artifactId>tomcat</dep:artifactId>
         <dep:type>car</dep:type>
      </dep:dependency>

One thing to beware of is that jaxrpc web services either have to be
extremely simple so they don't need a jaxrpc mapping file or you have
to come up with a jaxrpc mapping file, something for which we don't
have any tools.  Geronimo is quite strict about what it will accept
in a jaxrpc mapping file, so its possible that something that works
on another server won't work in geronimo.  However I don't see how
this could result in the error you are seeing.  I would not have the
patience to try to get a non-trivial jaxrpc web service to work, I
would convert it to a jaxws web service and use a geronimo 2.0 snapshot.

thanks
david jencks