geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Jim Barrows" <>
Subject Class cast issue with geronimo-tomcat6-jee5-2.0-M2, spring, hibernate that doesn't occur in tomcat standalone
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2007 15:24:12 GMT
When I deploy a war file to geronimo it gives me:
Caused by:
org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error
creating bean with name 'sessionFactory' defined in ServletContext
resource [/WEB-INF/applicationContext/db.xml]: Invocation of init
method failed; nested exception is java.lang.ClassCastException:
Caused by:
java.lang.ClassCastException: java.util.HashSet
	at org.hibernate.util.PropertiesHelper.resolvePlaceHolders(
	at org.hibernate.cfg.Configuration.buildSessionFactory(
	at org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.LocalSessionFactoryBean.newSessionFactory(
	at org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.LocalSessionFactoryBean.buildSessionFactory(
	at org.springframework.orm.hibernate3.AbstractSessionFactoryBean.afterPropertiesSet(

Which tomcat standalone does not give me.  Deploying the same war.  In
both cases it's being deploy as a directory, not as a .war file from

In both cases the offending bit of code is in the spring xml file, and
not in code, and I'm not doing anything with the constructor.
I've added
to geronimo-web.xml file, to no avail.
Can anyone point me in the right direction to sovle this?

Geronimo Version: 2.0-M2
Java Version 1.5.0_11
OS: Fedora Core 6 - 2.6.20-1.2925
Spring 2.0.2