geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: XDoclet Support for OpenEJB - Generating the openejb-jar.xml with MyEclipse
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2007 15:44:39 GMT

On Apr 9, 2007, at 10:20 AM, Mark Aufdencamp wrote:

> Thanks for the advice David.  I'm still using Geronimo 1.1 and
> haven't even looked at 2.0 yet.  MyEclipse is also lacking in
> support of EJB 3.0 standards.
>
> I have the O'Reilly "Enterprise JavaBeans 3.0" sitting on my desk.
> I'm mired in that bleeding edge boundary and have been trying to
> learn the current production (EJB 2.1 and Geronimo 1.1/1.2) method
> while keeping an eye towards the future (EJB 3.0 and Geronimo
> 2.0).  Having tutorials on the legacy way have significantly
> influenced my learning direction.
>
> I've presumed that a migration path exists for 2.1x CMP to JPA.
> I've also looked at Hibernate from the web container as an option.
> The apps not very big at this point, so I can afford to re-tool it
> in the next version.

I think you will have to convert any cmp entity beans you have to jpa
by yourself. IMO its a much much much better approach to start with
jpa if there is any possibility at all.  There are quite extensive
docs for openjpa, and it only took me a couple of days starting from
no jpa knowledge to convert daytrader to jpa using those docs.

I don't have any first hand experience with hibernate but have heard
rumors that openjpa performs better.  In any case if you go with
hibernate I hope you use the jpa interfaces to enable portability.

> Does a document exist yet on the geronimo specifics of performing a
> migration from 1.1/1.2 to 2.0 that discusses the shift from CMP to
> JPA?

1.2 supports jpa, although you have to tell it about the persistence
units and persistent unit refs in a non-spec compliant way.
Container manager persistence contexts are available from web and ejb
applications.

> Not having an IDE based tutorial that takes one through the whole
> stack with the application server really extends the learning curve!

maybe..... cmp bean mapping stuff could easily be harder to learn
with a tutorial than jpa with the openjpa docs.

thanks
david jencks