geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Paul McMahan <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Running portlets in Geronimo - Documentation
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2007 21:34:08 GMT
On Apr 4, 2007, at 5:01 PM, Hernan Cunico wrote:

> A limitation of the data source creation wizard is that you cannot
> specify some of the values, more specifically all those that make
> the moduleId. Liferay plugin is specifically looking for a
> connection pool named *LiferayPool*  and with the following
> moduleId *liferay/liferay-pool/4.2.1/car*. If you use the console
> you'll get something like console.dbpool/LiferayPool/1.0/rar and
> installing the portal server plugin will fail.

Hernan, you're exactly right.  I had forgotten about that limitation
of the data source wizard and how that the portal plugin relies on
the datasource plugin to use a certain module name.  The original
reason I put that dependency in place was to facilitate the
relationship between the plugins so that if you install portal plugin
it will automatically download and install the datasource plugin.  Or
you could deploy a customized datasource beforehand (like the mysql
one you provided instructions for) and the plugin installer wouldn't
try to replace it with the derby one.  The end goal was to minimize
the number of steps it takes new users to get a working portal
server, while still allowing more advanced users to use an external
database like mysql or DB2.

At least that's how it used to work.  Now I believe the plugin
catalog lists the datasource plugin as a "prerequisite" of the portal
plugin instead of just a "dependency", so the plugin installer lists
the portal plugin as unavailable until you have installed the
datasource plugin.  The Liferay team maintains the catalog so that
may be how they prefer things.  Or they might want to refine that
part of their plugin catalog when we look into updating it for
Geronimo's upcoming 1.2 release.

Best wishes,
Paul