geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Paul McMahan <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Running portlets in Geronimo - Documentation
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2007 22:33:25 GMT
On Apr 4, 2007, at 6:10 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> What I'm hoping for in the future for these kinds of situations is
> that there can be plugins configured for each of several databases,
> e.g. mysql, db2, firebird, etc and to switch the backend all you
> need to do is change a line in artifact_aliases.properties.  I'm
> trying this out with Peter Petersson with the roller plugin we've
> started in the plugins dir.

That sounds like the right direction.  This might get easier if we
separate the datasource component from the actual database itself.
I'm not sure about the roller plugin, but the Liferay datasource
component includes not only the datasource but a derby database that
is prepopulated with the Liferay schema.  So, a side effect of
installing the Liferay datasource plugin is that you get a new derby
database under var/derby that's ready to roll.  From an end user's
perspective this makes it really easy to get a running portal server
in Geronimo as a POC.  But users looking for more configurability and
optimization are not as well served.  That becomes apparent as you
read Hernan's new article.

> Anyway, I think its generally better to have the "other project"
> supply plugins for the databases they support rather than asking
> users to create one themselves.  Making the process easy... that
> will be the challenge.

I totally agree here as well.  I think the main impediment right now
is that setting up and maintaining a plugin repository (or even just
a collection of plugins to be hosted elsewhere) requires some
research and trial and error.   We can help that situation by
providing more examples and documentation, and by improving the
overall design.  I hope that Geronimo's own plugin repository will
provide an example worth emulating.

Best wishes,
Paul