geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Jochen Zink <jochenl...@web.de>
Subject Re: OutOfMemoryException while redeploying WAR
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2007 09:43:29 GMT
Hello,

thanks for the answers (a lot of :) ). Yes it is en PermSpace Error and if it is a problem
with the JavaVM... I have to life with that. It is only for developing an application. In
production mode, there is no need for a redeploy.

Thanks for your help

> -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

the assumption that you'd never want that information flushed from the VM, so they put that
chunk of memory out of the reach of the garbage collector (i.e. "permanent generation"). Unfortunately,
when you redeploy an application, you're really attempting to remove a bunch of classes and
replace them with new ones. That simply doesn't work with Sun's VM; you only end up with both
the old and the new classes in PermGen, even if the old class data is no longer useful or
even accessible.

> There's no way around this one if you're using Sun's VM. Raising the amount of memory
available for the permanent generation is really only a stop gap measure. If you feel you're
going to redeploy your app very often, you should look into using another VM. I personally
use JRockit for development (which is when I do most of my redeployment), even if I only run
Sun's VM for staging and production servers (in order to take advantage of the deeper testing
done on that VM).

> That's not accurate. PermGen memory *is* GC'ed. However, a Class can only be GC'ed when
its ClassLoader has been GC'ed. In Geronimo, when you deploy an application, one (or more)
ClassLoaders are created to load your application classes. When you undeploy your application,
we free up references to that ClassLoader. Once the ClassLoader has been GC'ed, the application
classes will be GC'ed from the PermGen space.

> Denis describes the behavior of classes loaded by the System ClassLoader. Since the system
ClassLoader will never be GC'ed, classes loaded by the System ClassLoader will never be GC'ed.
That is not a problem for Geronimo, since application classes will never be loaded using the
system ClassLoader...