geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Donald Woods <>
Subject Re: Geronimo's vision
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2007 18:56:05 GMT
Sorry for the shortness of answers, but we try to keep known IBM WASCE
specific issues out of the Geronimo community, since we (WASCE) are the
ones who reuse Apache Geronimo source code as allowed under the ASL v2

We have had several discussions before between WASCE and Geronimo
members about the Eclipse Plug-in and how to best "rebrand" it for our
offering.  Currently, its just that, a rebranding to change the
displayed names and graphics in Eclipse, disable a few features (like
the ability to download a server instance) and add a few features (like
the ability in our current 1.1.1 plugin to mark references to Geronimo
provided jars besides the J2EE Spec jars as warnings.)

It was our (WASCE) decision, to not change all of the package, plugin
and feature names from the Geronimo provided
org.apache.geronimo.devtools.* in the plugin code, which would have been
the only way to solve this problem within the provided Eclipse
programming model today.  Our overriding goal, is to not create a fork
of the Geronimo code (including the Eclipse Plugin), which would be so
completely different, that none of the Geronimo Apps, Samples, Tools or
Plugins would not work with WASCE.

As we work on delivering a 2.0 release, we always welcome suggestions of
how to improve our WASCE offering and eliminate any detrimental impacts
we have on Geronimo users, but I still feel that those initial
discussions are better had on our IBM devWorks forum or through our IBM
Support channels, instead of the Geronimo mailing lists.  Once we have
defined features or enhancements that require changes in Geronimo and
which would benefit users of Geronimo, then we can open JIRAs or start a
discussion thread on the Geronimo mailing lists....

As for this case, if you have knowledge or suggestions on how to create
"rebrandable" Eclipse plugin that can allow multiples to coexist within
a single Eclipse workspace, then please do start a IBM devWorks or
dev@geronimo thread with the details so we can further explore this for
a future release.

Bruno Melloni wrote:
> Hello Matt,
> Thanks for your answer.  As to your question, it was bug 3095.  The bug
> may be in the Geronimo plugin code or it may be in the WAS CE derivation
> from such code.  Regardless of where it is, it hampers the ability to
> use Geronimo in Eclipse when another server derived from Geronimo (WAS
> CE in this case) is installed first.
> The response seems to say that this is a "known limitation" of WAS CE,
> not Geronimo, and sounded as coming from a WAS CE team member.  It also
> indicates that "we will not be fixing it in the 1.1 or 2.0 releases" (of
> WAS CE I presume) and was closed as "invalid".
> No chance seemed to be given to the Geronimo team to consider the side
> effects or to take preventive measures (i.e.: Adding a clause to the
> Geronimo license requiring that any derived work must not interfere with
> the original).
> bruno

View raw message