geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Hernan Cunico <hcun...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Running portlets in Geronimo - Documentation
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2007 12:19:56 GMT

Paul McMahan wrote:
> On Apr 4, 2007, at 6:10 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>
>> What I'm hoping for in the future for these kinds of situations is
>> that there can be plugins configured for each of several databases,
>> e.g. mysql, db2, firebird, etc and to switch the backend all you need
>> to do is change a line in artifact_aliases.properties.  I'm trying
>> this out with Peter Petersson with the roller plugin we've started in
>> the plugins dir.
>
> That sounds like the right direction.  This might get easier if we
> separate the datasource component from the actual database itself.  I'm
> not sure about the roller plugin, but the Liferay datasource component
> includes not only the datasource but a derby database that is
> prepopulated with the Liferay schema.  So, a side effect of installing
> the Liferay datasource plugin is that you get a new derby database under
> var/derby that's ready to roll.  From an end user's perspective this
> makes it really easy to get a running portal server in Geronimo as a
> POC.  But users looking for more configurability and optimization are
> not as well served.  That becomes apparent as you read Hernan's new article.

Just for additional reference, Liferay folks provide only one plugin for the datasource, after
that they provide a ton of sql scripts to create and populate data for about 8 different databases.

Agreed, it would be great to have just one click to install and just one click to remove specific
features/services with all it's dependencies.

>> Anyway, I think its generally better to have the "other project"
>> supply plugins for the databases they support rather than asking users
>> to create one themselves.  Making the process easy... that will be the
>> challenge.
>
> I totally agree here as well.  I think the main impediment right now is
> that setting up and maintaining a plugin repository (or even just a
> collection of plugins to be hosted elsewhere) requires some research and
> trial and error.   We can help that situation by providing more examples
> and documentation, and by improving the overall design.  I hope that
> Geronimo's own plugin repository will provide an example worth emulating.
>

> Best wishes,
> Paul

Cheers!
Hernan