geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Mark Aufdencamp <m...@aufdencamp.com>
Subject RE: XDoclet Support for OpenEJB - Generating the openejb-jar.xml with MyEclipse
Date Mon, 09 Apr 2007 17:20:37 GMT
Thanks for the advice David.&nbsp; I'm still using Geronimo 1.1 and
haven't even looked at 2.0 yet.&nbsp; MyEclipse is also lacking in support of EJB 3.0
standards.</div>

I have the O'Reilly "Enterprise JavaBeans 3.0" sitting on my desk.&nbsp;
I'm mired in that bleeding edge boundary and have been trying to learn the current production
(EJB 2.1 and Geronimo 1.1/1.2) method while keeping an eye towards the future (EJB 3.0 and
Geronimo 2.0).&nbsp; Having tutorials on the legacy way have significantly influenced
my learning direction.</div>

I've presumed that a migration path exists for 2.1x CMP to JPA.&nbsp;
I've also looked at Hibernate from the web container as an option.&nbsp; The apps not
very big at this point, so I can afford to re-tool it in the next version.</div>

Does a document exist yet on the geronimo specifics of performing a
migration from 1.1/1.2 to 2.0 that discusses the shift from CMP to JPA?</div>

Not having an IDE based tutorial that takes one through the whole stack
with the application server really extends the learning curve!</div>

<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 8px; MARGIN-LEFT: 8px; BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px solid">--------
Original Message --------<BR>Subject: Re: XDoclet Support for OpenEJB - Generating the<BR>openejb-jar.xml
with MyEclipse<BR>From: David Jencks &lt;david_jencks@yahoo.com&gt;<BR>Date:
Mon, April 09, 2007 9:50 am<BR>To: user@geronimo.apache.org<BR><BR>
I cannot express how strongly I recommend that you use jpa rather than
cmp for any project you have any control over, such as new development.

<DIV><BR class=khtml-block-placeholder></DIV>

<DIV>
I believe the xdoclet stuff you refer to doesn't work at all with
geronimo-openejb, I think it is for openejb 1 which is not integrated with geronimo. &nbsp;In
any case using ejb 3.0 with annotations is a much better solution.</DIV>

<DIV><BR class=khtml-block-placeholder></DIV>

<DIV>thanks</DIV>

<DIV>david jencks</DIV>

<DIV><BR>

<DIV>

<DIV>On Apr 9, 2007, at 9:08 AM, Mark Aufdencamp wrote:</DIV><BR class=Apple-interchange-newline>

<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 8px; MARGIN-LEFT: 8px; BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px solid" type="cite">

<DIV>Hi All,</DIV>

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

<DIV>
I've been quietly lurking on the list for the last eight weeks working
on the opposite ends of a web application.&nbsp; I've scaled the AJAX-JavaScript-Struts
integration mountain and I've just completed deploying my first Entity Bean's using CMP.&nbsp;
You'll may recall that I previously conquered web container realm authentication and application
security integration, as well as Session EJB's.&nbsp; Throw in some HTML and CSS learning
for good measure and in a manner of four months I've completely re-tooled myself for&nbsp;serious
application&nbsp;development.&nbsp; It's a lot to digest end to end, but it is possible
to learn and do.</DIV>

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

<DIV>
I selected the MyEclipse plugin as a necessity to travel this kind of
development spectrum.&nbsp; Using Eclipse was without question, and I needed the breadth
of tools bundled by MyEclipse.&nbsp; It didn't hurt that it had an attractive price for
the features.&nbsp; These were the same reasons that I selected Geronimo as an Application
Server Platform.</DIV>

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

<DIV>
The largest problems I've had in this journey have been integration
between the development environment, Eclipse, and the Application Server, Geronimo.&nbsp;
I now completely understand the term "Death by Configuration". &nbsp;I've also lacked
a decent end to end tutorial for this integration.&nbsp; I've humped through the MyEclipse
examples using JBoss or Weblogic and successfully transposed them into Geronimo utilizing
the wiki examples and a little help from the list.</DIV>

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

<DIV>
At last,&nbsp;I see the nirvana of configuration management available
via XDoclet!</DIV>

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

<DIV>So here's the question:</DIV>

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

<DIV>How do I get OpenEJB XDoclet support&nbsp;integrated into MyEclipse?&nbsp;
I've tried adding the openejb subtask to the&nbsp;Standard EJB task and I generate a blank
openejb-jar.xml file.&nbsp; I'd really like to manage my CMP field mappings in ths manner
if possible.</DIV>

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

<DIV>
Is anyone using&nbsp;XDoclet support to generate the openejb-jar.xml,
or&nbsp;geronimo-application.xml, or&nbsp;geronimo-web.xml?&nbsp; If so, where
do I find documentation/tutorial on its usage?</DIV>

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

<DIV>Perhaps all the answers lie at <A href="http://xdoclet.sourceforge.net/xdoclet/ant/xdoclet/modules/openejb/ejb/OpenEJBSubTask.html"
target=_blank>http://xdoclet.sourceforge.net/xdoclet/ant/xdoclet/modules/openejb/ejb/OpenEJBSubTask.html</A>
 , and I will be studying it further.&nbsp; I would however prefer to
find some sage advice in my journey:)</DIV>

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

<DIV>Thanks to All for the work everyone does on Geronimo!</DIV>

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>

<DIV>Mark Aufdencamp</DIV>

<DIV><A onclick="Popup.composeWindow('pcompose.php?sendto=Mark%40Aufdencamp.com');;
return false;" href="mailto:Mark@Aufdencamp.com" target=_blank>Mark@Aufdencamp.com</A></DIV>

<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV><BR></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV>