geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Running portlets in Geronimo - Documentation
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2007 22:10:19 GMT

On Apr 4, 2007, at 2:34 PM, Paul McMahan wrote:

> On Apr 4, 2007, at 5:01 PM, Hernan Cunico wrote:
>
>> A limitation of the data source creation wizard is that you cannot
>> specify some of the values, more specifically all those that make
>> the moduleId. Liferay plugin is specifically looking for a
>> connection pool named *LiferayPool*  and with the following
>> moduleId *liferay/liferay-pool/4.2.1/car*. If you use the console
>> you'll get something like console.dbpool/LiferayPool/1.0/rar and
>> installing the portal server plugin will fail.
>
> Hernan, you're exactly right.  I had forgotten about that
> limitation of the data source wizard and how that the portal plugin
> relies on the datasource plugin to use a certain module name.  The
> original reason I put that dependency in place was to facilitate
> the relationship between the plugins so that if you install portal
> plugin it will automatically download and install the datasource
> plugin.  Or you could deploy a customized datasource beforehand
> (like the mysql one you provided instructions for) and the plugin
> installer wouldn't try to replace it with the derby one.  The end
> goal was to minimize the number of steps it takes new users to get
> a working portal server, while still allowing more advanced users
> to use an external database like mysql or DB2.
>
> At least that's how it used to work.  Now I believe the plugin
> catalog lists the datasource plugin as a "prerequisite" of the
> portal plugin instead of just a "dependency", so the plugin
> installer lists the portal plugin as unavailable until you have
> installed the datasource plugin.  The Liferay team maintains the
> catalog so that may be how they prefer things.  Or they might want
> to refine that part of their plugin catalog when we look into
> updating it for Geronimo's upcoming 1.2 release.

What I'm hoping for in the future for these kinds of situations is
that there can be plugins configured for each of several databases,
e.g. mysql, db2, firebird, etc and to switch the backend all you need
to do is change a line in artifact_aliases.properties.  I'm trying
this out with Peter Petersson with the roller plugin we've started in
the plugins dir.

Anyway, I think its generally better to have the "other project"
supply plugins for the databases they support rather than asking
users to create one themselves.  Making the process easy... that will
be the challenge.

thanks
david jencks