geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Aman Nanner/MxI Technologies <aman.nan...@mxi.com>
Subject Re: java out of swap space error
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2007 20:26:58 GMT
I just started seeing this error today pretty consistently on my Geronimo
instance as well.  There are some Sun bug reports that describe this issue,
but I have not found any definitive cause yet.  The HotSpot compiler seems
to have some trouble allocating a chunk of space during bytecode
compilation.  I've seen a suggestion that HotSpot can be disabled with the
-Xint property which would force it to run in interpreted mode, although
there would be a performance hit with this.

The size of the heap on my own server was not overly large when I got this
error, so it's kind of strange.  Right now I'm working on trying to fix
this issue, so if I find anything out, I can let you know.

Similarly, if you manage to solve this issue, let me know.  :-)

theo burry <tvburry@yahoo.com> wrote on 03-01-2007 03:20:31 PM:

> Hi,
>
> I am getting the following error in the geronimo logs for my webapp:
>
> Exception in thread "CompilerThread1" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError:
> requested 32764 bytes for ChunkPool::allocate. Out of swap space?
>
> I did some research and added the following java_opts in geronimo.sh:
>
> JAVA_OPTS='-Xms512m -Xmx512m -Xss128k -XX:PermSize=128m
-XX:MaxPermSize=128m'

> This virtually eliminated the problem but I am still seeing it
> occasionally.  Do I just need to tweak these memory settings or is
> there something else going on?  I don't get this error during
> periods of particularly high usage so it is a little puzzling.  I'm
> running geronimo 1.1.1 with jetty, java 1.5.0 on freebsd 4.
>
> Thanks,
> Theo
>  Bored stiff? Loosen up...

* This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed,
applicable law. Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive for the addressee),
you may not use, copy or disclose the message or any information contained in the message.
If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail , and
delete the message, or call (collect) 001 613 747 4698. *