geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Running Apache Roller on Geronimo
Date Sun, 18 Mar 2007 15:36:03 GMT

On Mar 18, 2007, at 10:53 AM, Peter Petersson wrote:

> Yes thanks! David turning of the activemq-broker did help (activemq
> was not loaded) and roller is now running perfectly :).

Great news!

> FYI hibernate 3.2 should not get this error as they have fixed the
> property loading in that version (with a instanceOf check).
>
> Will be back with a Roller on Geronimo configuration post.

I started to look into this yesterday in terms of making some
geronimo plugins for roller.  I was wondering how much of the work I
can talk you into doing :-)  ("No more, I've done enough" is a fine
answer too)

In my long term vision I think we could have:

- several modules/plugins for different databases, that just set up
the db.
- a module that repackages roller as a packed war file, with the non-
roller jars taken out of the WEB-INF/lib
- plugins for roller deployed on geronimo-jetty and geronimo-tomcat,
with the removed jars as dependencies of the war.

On my machine, based on what you provided before, I have modules for
derby db, a repackaging from the zip file into a war (without trying
to prune the jars yet) and a deployment to jetty.  I'm trying to
figure out if the plugin deployment is broken -- so far it isn't
working for me -- so I haven't managed to get it to actually run in
geronimo yet.

One thing i have worried about with stuff like this is how to switch
databases without rebuilding everything with changed plans/configs/
dependencies.  I think in 1.2/2.0 we now have a way to do it with the
artifacts_aliases.properties file, which lets you redirect a
dependency from one artifact id to another.  So we can have the
roller plugin itself depend on a non-existent roller-database
artifact and then when we install say the derby roller db alias
roller-database to roller-database-derby.

Another thing we might try is to encourage roller to publish war
files to the maven repos, perhaps using the ant maven tasks.

thanks!
david jencks