geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo Eclipse Plugin publishes multiple times
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2007 15:51:28 GMT

On Mar 29, 2007, at 10:57 AM, Sachin Patel wrote:

> The eclipse plugin doesn't use or redeploy using the hot deploy
> directory, and all its doing is exporting the archive out and
> deploying it as a jsr88 client of the server.  So why the server is
> attempting to restart 20-30 doesn't make sense to me, unless you
> some your are creating the eclipse projects inside the hot deploy
> directory or doing something to write out to it that is trigger
> some weird behavior.
>
> The fact that other eclipse plugins (MyEclipse) is seeing a similar
> problem is strange and indicates to me a problem on the server
> side, but unless i have a test case that shows the behavior this is
> difficult to debug.

Sachin's hot-deploy theory seems reasonable to me (having a hard time
explaining the behavior, otherwise). If true, sounds like there are
potentially two problems:  1) hot deploy causing multiple deployments
and 2) a ClassLoader memory leak.

Regarding 1), the default polling interval for the hot-deployer gbean
is 2 seconds. Increasing this polling interval may help. Locate the
hot-deployer module in var/config/config.xml And replace with
something like (untested):

<module name="geronimo/hot-deployer/1.1.1/car">
     <gbean name="HotDeployer">
         <attribute name="pollIntervalMillis">20000</attribute>
     </gbean>
</module>

Regarding 2), I ran deploy/undeploy (redeploy) tests on 1.1.1 using
Daytrader. I didn't see any ClassLoader memory leaks, in these tests.
However, I didn't test using hot-deploy... Seems like several
possibilities:

1) There's a general deploy classloader memory leak in Geronimo which
we didn't find,
2) There's a hot-deploy-related classloader memory leak in Geronimo,
3) There's a bug in your application(s) causing a classloader memory
leak.

If you have a sample application which shows the problem, I'll have a
look...

--kevan