geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: java:comp/ORB
Date Sat, 17 Mar 2007 23:35:03 GMT

On Mar 17, 2007, at 5:34 PM, Andres wrote:

> We are porting an application from Websphere 6.1 to Geronimo
> 1.1.1.  We have
> a CORBA component (not EJB) that used to obtain the ORB by looking up
> java:comp/ORB.  Is there a way to do this in the present release
> using JNDI
> or will this be available in 1.2./2.0 when global JNDI support is
> completed?

if this is a corba service that runs in a thread started by the orb,
and doesn't go through any j2ee components, I'm not sure you will be
able to bind the orb under java:comp even in 1.2/2.0.  In 1.2  you'll
be able to write some extra code to bind an orb anywhere you want in
global jndi, but I'm not sure whether you can bind into the
"java:comp" context since that is pretty heavily specified for use by
j2ee components.  It might work, I don't know.  In 2.0 this will be
at least as possible and the orb may be pre-bound (although AFAIK
that isn't implemented yet)

If the thread this runs on went through a j2ee component before
getting to your code, there should be an orb bound to java:comp/ORB
already so long as the orb module is actually running.  We've
generally shipped with the orb turned off and turn it on when we
detect an app using corba transport for ejbs.  So one thing you want
to do is look in var/config/config.xml or the admin console and see
if its on.  In 1.2/2.0 I think the module is called
org.apache.geronimo.configs.corba-yoko/${version}/car, and in 1.1.1
probably geronimo/openejb-corba-sun/1.1.1/car.

Hope this helps,  feel free to ask more.

david jencks