geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: reconciling geronimo common libs and standalone maven2 repository
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2007 22:58:54 GMT

On Mar 15, 2007, at 6:19 PM, Cedric Hurst wrote:

> I looked into plugins a few times before but I wasn't quite sure
> how they
> would work with Maven repositories directly.  From my
> understanding, the
> repo must have a geronimo-plugins.xml file to work as a remote
> repository
> for Geronimo.
>
> I guess I'm really just trying to gain access to the rich library
> of maven2
> libraries from within the geronimo common libs.
> Unfortunately, the Geronimo Plugins catalog seems relatively
> limited so far.
> I can't any of my required dependencies on geronimoplugins.com,
> whereas I
> can find them all on http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/
> maven2/.  I'd
> like to be able to say say "I need hibernate-3.2" in my deployment
> plan and
> have Geronimo go out to the Maven2 central repository and download
> hibernate
> and all its dependencies.

so, I didn't explain myself very well, all too common... hopefully I
won't make things worse....

Geronimo is built up out of modules (formerly called configurations)
which are more or less pre-deployed applications with dependency
information in a form geronimo can understand.  Geronimo plugins are
modules with a little more metadata, but I'm not quite sure what it
is, just that it makes it easier to move them around and install them
from remote plugin repos.

So, I think you want to end up with your app as a geronimo module, or
more likely a geronimo plugin.  There are a couple ways to do that.
I think the most satisfactory for you will probably be to use the
geronimo car-maven-plugin to directly build the module/plugin using
maven, and then it will be in your local maven repo.  You can also
deploy it to remote repos using mvn deploy (I think, I have't tried
this).  To turn it into a plugin you just include an xml file in the
appropriate spot after figuring out what goes inside.

OK, now you have your module, and you need to get it into a geronimo
server.  This is the part where I'm not sure what functionality is
currently available where.  i think if its a plugin then the plugin
installer will pull the dependencies you need, but I'm not exactly
sure where they are specified or pulled from.  You can also just
install a car file but I don't think that pulls dependencies from
anywhere -- the deployer does't know about maven repos.  the maven
assembly stuff definitely knows how to install a car file from your
local repo into a geronimo repo, and pull all the dependencies
transitively into the g. repo.  However I don't know whether it can
do this with an existing server -- the only places its used now are
to build a whole new server.

I think what we need is a way to run the assembly functionality in
the car plugin so it installs the car + dependencies into a specified
geronimo server.  I don't know if it can do this right now but all
the basic functionality is there, at most we'd need to wire it up
appropriately.

thanks
david jencks