geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Spotts, Joel \(ISS Atlanta\)" <jspo...@us.ibm.com>
Subject RE: Timer already canceled
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2007 16:51:56 GMT
Thanks for the suggestions. Sorry I forgot to mention I am running
version 1.1.1. I tried increasing the heap size to 378 MB, but did not
help. I am attaching the full log file. One thing to note is that our
code creates a Timer class which runs into an exception as can be seen.
This exception is caught in out code and spit to the log file. Its hard
to imagine that is connected, since they are two different Timer
instances, but it does seem interesting that the Timer already canceled
exception occurs right after our own exception in a Timer.

Another thing to note is that geronimo doesn't just quit after the
exception, it keeps on trucking, but the CPU spikes to 100% and for all
intents and purposes, geronimo is dead.

Thanks so much,

Yoel Spotts

-----Original Message-----
From: Jay D. McHugh [mailto:jay@joyfulnoisewebdesign.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 6:51 PM
To: user@geronimo.apache.org
Subject: Re: Timer already canceled

Joel,

Another thing you might check is your heap size (if you are using a
geronimo version below 2.0).  Since I started working with 2.0, I have
been able to set a rather low minimum heap.  When I was working with 1.x

versions (and Java 1.4) I needed to increase my heap size or I would get

'timer already cancelled' errors.  There was a JIRA created for this to
make the error message reflect what had actually happened but I don't
know if it got fixed (just checked it and it's still open).

Try setting a higher maximum heap size for Java and try again - maybe
that will be all you need.

Jay

David Jencks wrote:
> It's a little hard to tell from this, especially without knowing the
> geronimo version.
>> LocalAttributeManager
> line 642 is in the doFail method in my copy, which would mean
> something pretty serious happened to prevent server startup from
> continuing.  Did you really supply the entire stack trace?  I'd expect

> something more in the blank lines.  Maybe var/log/geronimo.log has
> more detail?
>
> You might get more information by setting load=false for your app in
> config.xml and then starting the app using the admin console.
>
> thanks
> david jencks
>

> On Feb 28, 2007, at 12:37 PM, Spotts, Joel ((ISS Atlanta)) wrote:
>
>> I am getting the following exception when geronimo starts up and
>> tries to initialize my ear. What could cause the geronimo timer to be

>> canceled?
>>
>> [***********************> ] 93%  70s Starting
iss/SiteProtector/1.0...
>> [***********************> ] 93%  70s Starting
>> iss/SiteProtector/1.0...2007-02-23 10:52:49,687 [main] ERROR
>> [GBeanInstanceState] Error while starting; GBean is now in the FAILED

>> state:

abstractName="iss/SiteProtector/1.0/car?J2EEApplication=iss/SiteProtecto
r/1.0/car,j2eeType=WebModule,name=spmain.war"

>> java.lang.IllegalStateException: Timer already cancelled.
>>         at java.util.Timer.sched(Timer.java:354)
>>         at java.util.Timer.schedule(Timer.java:170)
>>         at

org.apache.geronimo.system.configuration.LocalAttributeManager.attribute
Changed(LocalAttributeManager.java:642)

>>         at

org.apache.geronimo.system.configuration.LocalAttributeManager.setValue(
LocalAttributeManager.java:295)

>>         at

org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.updateManageableAttribut
e(GBeanInstance.java:765)

>>         at

org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.setAttribute(GBeanInstan
ce.java:718)

>>         at

org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.setAttribute(GBeanInstan
ce.java:698)

>>         at

org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.RawInvoker.setAttribute(RawInvoker.jav
a:53)

>>         at

org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.RawSetAttributeInvoker.invoke(RawSetAtt
ributeInvoker.java:35)

>>         at

org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.ProxyMethodInterceptor.intercept(ProxyM
ethodInterceptor.java:96)

>>         at

org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.TomcatContainer$$EnhancerByCGLIB$$914f4ec.set
CatalinaHome(<generated>)

>>         at

org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.TomcatContainer.<init>(TomcatContainer.java:8
7)

>>         at

org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.TomcatContainer$$EnhancerByCGLIB$$914f4ec.<in
it>(<generated>)

>>         at

org.apache.geronimo.tomcat.TomcatContainer$$EnhancerByCGLIB$$914f4ec$$Fa
stClassByCGLIB$$6f2babf5.newInstance(<generated>)

>>         at
net.sf.cglib.reflect.FastClass.newInstance(FastClass.java:91)
>>         at

org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicProxyManager$ManagedProxyFactory.c
reateProxy(BasicProxyManager.java:213)

>>         at

org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicProxyManager.createProxy(BasicProx
yManager.java:103)

>>         at

org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanSingleReference.start(GBeanSingle
Reference.java:82)

>>         at

org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.createInstance(GBeanInst
ance.java:887)

>>         at

org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.attemptFullStart(GB
eanInstanceState.java:267)

>>         at

org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.start(GBeanInstance
State.java:102)

>>         at

org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.startRecursive(GBea
nInstanceState.java:124)

>>         at

org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.startRecursive(GBeanInst
ance.java:540)

>>         at

org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicKernel.startRecursiveGBean(BasicKe
rnel.java:379)

>>         at

org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.ConfigurationUtil.startConfigurationGB
eans(ConfigurationUtil.java:374)

>>         at

org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.ConfigurationUtil.startConfigurationGB
eans(ConfigurationUtil.java:411)

>>         at

org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.KernelConfigurationManager.start(Kerne
lConfigurationManager.java:187)

>>         at

org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.SimpleConfigurationManager.startConfig
uration(SimpleConfigurationManager.java:527)

>>         at

org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.SimpleConfigurationManager.startConfig
uration(SimpleConfigurationManager.java:508)

>>         at

org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.SimpleConfigurationManager$$FastClassB
yCGLIB$$ce77a924.invoke(<generated>)

>>         at net.sf.cglib.reflect.FastMethod.invoke(FastMethod.java:53)
>>         at

org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.FastMethodInvoker.invoke(FastMethodInv
oker.java:38)

>>         at

org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanOperation.invoke(GBeanOperation.j
ava:122)

>>         at

org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.invoke(GBeanInstance.jav
a:817)

>>         at

org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.RawInvoker.invoke(RawInvoker.java:57)
>>         at

org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.RawOperationInvoker.invoke(RawOperation
Invoker.java:35)

>>         at

org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.ProxyMethodInterceptor.intercept(ProxyM
ethodInterceptor.java:96)

>>         at

org.apache.geronimo.gbean.GBeanLifecycle$$EnhancerByCGLIB$$206c0a2d.star
tConfiguration(<generated>)

>>         at
>> org.apache.geronimo.system.main.Daemon.doStartup(Daemon.java:297)
>>         at
org.apache.geronimo.system.main.Daemon.<init>(Daemon.java:74)
>>         at
org.apache.geronimo.system.main.Daemon.main(Daemon.java:377)