geronimo-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: using OpenJPA in EJB2.1 application (was: ejb2.1 to Geronimo2.0 migration strategy)
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 17:28:46 GMT

On Feb 1, 2007, at 7:41 AM, Hans J. Prueller wrote:

> Hi together,
>

> I decided that it would be a valuable way to migrate existing
> CMP2.1 EJBs to OpenJPA, as this should also work
>
> OUTSIDE a Java EE 5 (and therefore inside EJB2.1) container. The
> problem I see is that I have to provide the OpenJPA
>
> mappings as Java5 annotations, and EJB2.1 projects are bound to
> Java 1.4 – without having annotations.
run geronimo under jdk 1.5.  This will work unless you are using
corba.  The almost released 1.2 might work if you are using corba.

> Is there a way of providing the mapping via XML-descriptor too?

yes, as per jpa spec.
> Does anybody see other possible failures when running OpenJPA
> within a Java EE 1.4 container?

I'm not sure why you don't want to use annotations. You should use
the geronimo 1.2 not-quite-released version which includes jpa and in
particular openjpa support.  I converted the daytrader performance
test app to use jpa and it works fine.  In particular you can use
container managed entity managers/persistence contexts rather than
app managed ones.  You might like to take a look at daytrader trunk,
it has all the annotations and a jpa plan.  You do need to run
geronimo under jdk 1.5 for this to work.

svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/daytrader/trunk
daytrader

thanks
david jencks