geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Re: Need your suggestions...
Date Sun, 18 Feb 2007 17:32:28 GMT

On Feb 10, 2007, at 8:54 AM, Hari Krishna Korrapati wrote:

> Hi Experts,
>

> We have list of J2EE application (components
> Servlets,JSP,Struts,EJB,Hibernate) currently running on Websphere
> WAS4.0.5 with JDK1.3.
>
> Our plan is to Migrate to Apache Geronimo application server with
> latest JDK whatever it supports.
>
> Currently few migrated to Apache Geronimo 1.1.1.
>

> What are the future releases are going to be and time plan/special
> features.
We are working on Geronimo 2.0 which is Java EE 5.0.  The current
work on the J2EE 1.4 is Geronimo 1.2 which is currently in beta and
available from http://geronimo.apache.org/downloads.html

> Want to know any tools available to automate the migration process
> or can we customize.

 From WebSphere not really.  There are some limited conversion tools
available but w don't have a comprehensive conversion suite.  Help
would be excellent.

> What are the Best Practices and Approaches for migration

It depends on the nature of the application you are converting.  For
the Application you described above it sounds like choosing Apache
Geronimo 1.2-beta would be a good choice.   If you need CORBA you
will have to use the Sun JDK.   If not, then I think just about any
1.4 JDK will work as should 1.5 JDKs.  One thing to note is to choose
a JDK level and stick with it.  If you are using WebServices you will
have some difficulty changing JDK versions back and forth.