geronimo-user mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: Is there a vendor independent way of accessing EJBs from a standalone client?
Date Sat, 24 Feb 2007 16:16:17 GMT
I didn't realize he was using an appclient.  In that case, he doesn't
really need to abstract.  Then again, I personally don't like the
appclient model.  It helps make resource lookups portable, but for
that small feature, you must client code must be processed by the app
server.  Meaning, that any updates to the client have to be
"deployed" to the server.  Then you must use a vendor specific
technology to distribute the app clients to your users.  Also, you
are limited to the execution model your vendor supports.  For
example, Geronimo only supports standalone vm appclients.  What if
you wanted to use an applet or web-start?

I think it was a nice try, but I wouldn't rely on it.

Just my opinion,

-dain

On Feb 23, 2007, at 9:22 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2007, at 7:26 AM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>
>> I suggest you put an interface in that abstracts the lookups.
>> This will let your code easily switch between vendors.
>
> Why would he want to do that?  He's using a javaee app client
> container, so the spec says how to get to an ejb in the same ear in
> a standard way.  On a spec compliant server it will just work.
>
> thanks
> david jencks
>

>> -dain
>>
>> On Feb 22, 2007, at 3:13 PM, Ryan wrote:
>>
>>> You're right, I didn't quite explain things 100%.  I would like
>>> to have
>>> a .ear file that contains EJBs and a Swing client.  I would like
>>> to be
>>> able to deploy that .ear and have it work on Glassfish or
>>> Geronimo, but
>>> don't want to change naming lookups, etc.
>>>
>>> I really just want to have the option of switching vendors at a
>>> later
>>> date.  I will always use a matching app server and client