geronimo-user mailing list archives

From "Aaron Mulder" <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Plaintext passwords in Geronimo plans and config files
Date Thu, 22 Feb 2007 18:24:24 GMT
> I haven't found the code that does this, but I think that it encrypts
> config.xml rather than any plans.  I could be very wrong although
> since plans aren't needed at runtime I can't see how encryption could
> be applied to them.

I think it's in "util" or one of the alphabetically late modules in
the list.  :)  I'm pretty sure we could find it by looking at the code
that saves config.xml property values.

Anyway, I assume that encryption in config.xml is what we're talking
about here -- that is, encryption in the server config files after the
application is deployed, not encryption in the deployment plan that's
used only once.  But it should be possible to hook in the encryption
to saved plans or any other places where we have data that should be
concealed.  As you pointed out it's not really safe against a skilled
attacker with access to the server configuration, but it could provide
the level of "no plain text passwords in server configuration"
assurance.

Thanks,
       Aaron